SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1 pkg Little Dress Boutique™ Katie Pre-cut Dress Pieces
- 1 pkg Little Dress Boutique™ Katie Strips
- 1 yard elastic: 1/2" wide
- Wood dowel or chopstick
- Safety pin
- Rotary cutter, acrylic ruler & mat
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
- Iron & pressing surface
Read all instructions before beginning project. Do not pre-wash fabrics. Use a 1/4" seam allowance and sew fabrics with right sides together (RST) unless otherwise noted. Backstitch at the beginning and end of each seam to secure stitching. Before cutting, press fabrics with a dry iron on cotton setting. Finish seam allowances with zigzag or serge stitching, or pinking shears.
FITTING: The Katie Bow Dress as pictured is 17". Consult the fitting information section from the Little Dress Boutique™ Katie Pre-cut Dress Pieces package for fitting guidelines. Depending on the techniques you choose for embellishment, finished dress length may vary.
- Follow Steps 1-3 of the dress instructions to make the dress.
- For pocket, use fabric trimmed from the bottom of the dress if it was shortened, or the 5” strips. Cut two rectangles 4”x4-1/2” for lower pockets. Cut two rectangles 1-1/4"x4-1/2" for upper pockets. Cut two rectangles 1"x4-1/2" for contrast flanges. Fold flange in half lengthwise, wrong sides together and press. Layer 4-1/2” sides of lower pocket, flange and upper pocket in this order with raw edges aligned. Pin and sew the seam;
press seam allowance toward lower pocket and flange up toward upper pocket. Make two. Cut two rectangles 4-1/2"x4-3/4" for lining. Place pocket and lining RST and stitch around all sides leaving 2" open at bottom to turn. Turn right side out, pushing out corners and press. Repeat for the second pocket.
- For pocket placement on dress front, measure 3” from the bottom and 4" from the side, or place as desired. Pin and stitch around the sides and bottom of each pocket, closing the opening.
- Make shoulder tie from a 5" strip. Cut strip in half lengthwise to 2-1/2”x42”. Fold one strip in half RST so long edges meet and sew 1/4” from all cut edges leaving a 3" opening in the center for turning. Turn right side out and use a wood dowel or chopstick to carefully push out corners; press well. Topstitch close to all edges, sewing opening closed.
Attach a safety pin to one end of tie and feed through the front and back casings. Pull to gather and tie on one shoulder. Note: For quick serged ties, sew with wrong sides together and finish edges with a serged rolled hem.
- Make folded flange and lower band from 5” strips. Measure the bottom width of the dress and cut two strips 1” wide by the length of your measurement and two strips 3" wide by the length of your measurement.
- Continue with Step 4 of the dress instructions to sew side seams and turn dress right side out.
- Continue sewing the lower band. Pin the short edges of the two narrow 1" strips RST and sew with a 1/2” seam to create a circle; press seams open. Fold wrong sides together so long edges meet; press. Repeat using the 3" strips.
- If altering the length of the dress from the fitting information, make sure of the desired length before proceeding. Adding the lower band will add approximately 1-1/4" to the length of dress.
- Pin the narrow band to the top of the wide band with cut edges even and side seams matching; baste a scant 1/4” from the edge. With the narrow band on the inside, pin the bottom band to the right side of the dress with cut edges even and side seams matching. Sew using a 1/4” seam and press the seam allowance toward the dress.
- Make elastic waist casing from strip fabric. Turn dress wrong side out and try on child to find waist measurement from lower armhole and mark both sides. Cut a 2-1/2" strip the length around the waist plus 1". Fold short ends in 1/2” to wrong side and press. Fold in half lengthwise wrong sides together and sew the seam. Turn right side out and press with seam centered on the back. Begin at a side seam and pin casing, seam side down, to wrong side of dress at waist marking. Sew close to edges being sure to use thread that coordinates with the dress fabric.
- Attach a safety pin to the end of the elastic and thread it through the casing. Try on dress and adjust elastic; pin to hold. Stitch ends of elastic together and trim.
- Follow Step 4 to make waist bow from a 3"x24" strip of fabric. Eliminate topstitching and hand sew opening closed. Tie and pin to center front waist.
Finished Care Instructions: Remove bow and machine wash warm and hang to dry. Press on cotton setting if needed.