SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1 pkg Little Dress Boutique™ Katie Pre-cut Dress Pieces
- 1 pkg Little Dress Boutique™ Katie Strips
- Wood dowel or chopstick
- Safety pin
- Rotary cutter, acrylic ruler & mat
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
- Iron & pressing surface
Read all instructions before beginning project. Do not pre-wash fabrics. Use a 1/4" seam allowance and sew fabrics with right sides together (RST) unless otherwise noted. Backstitch at the beginning and end of each seam to secure stitching. Before cutting, press fabrics with a dry iron on cotton setting. Finish seam allowances with zigzag or serge stitching, or pinking shears.
FITTING: The Katie Ruffle Dress as pictured is 24". Consult the fitting information section from the Little Dress Boutique™ Katie Pre-cut Dress Pieces package for fitting guidelines. Depending on the techniques you choose for embellishment, finished dress length may vary.
- Follow Steps 1-3 of the dress instructions to make the dress.
- Make bows from a 5" strip. Cut two 3"x5" rectangles for the bow and two 2-1/2"x2-1/2" squares for the knot. Press both long edges of a 3"x5" pocket bow 1/4" twice to the wrong side; sew close to the pressed edges to hem. Sew two parallel rows of long gathering stitches in the center, leaving thread tails on each end. Pull the bobbin threads to gather the bow center. Repeat for the second bow.
- Fold 2-1/2"x2-1/2" square in half RST so edges meet and sew the long edge. Turn right side out and press flat with seam open and centered on back. Fold it in half so cut edges meet and the seam is on the outside. Sew the cut edges together. Turn right side out with the seam centered in the back; insert the bow into the knot so the gathers are centered. Repeat for the second bow and bow knot.
- Make pockets from a 5" strip. Cut two rectangles 4-1/2"x11" from one strip. Fold in half with wrong sides together so short edges meet; press the fold to crease the center. Open the pocket flat with right side up and pin the bow 1" below the center crease; baste the sides of the bow to the pocket. Fold the pocket RST so short edges meet; sew the sides and bottom leaving a 2" opening for turning. Clip the corners and turn right side out; press flat. Topstitch 1/4" from the pocket top. Repeat for the second pocket.
- For pocket placement on dress front, measure 6" from the bottom and 4” from the side, or place as desired. Pin and stitch close to the edge around the sides and bottom of each pocket, closing the opening.
- Continue with Step 4 of the dress instructions to sew side seams.
- If altering the length of dress from the fitting information, make sure of the desired length before proceeding. Adding the lower ruffle will add approximately 3" to the length of dress depending on where you place it.
- Fold 1/4” twice to wrong side on bottom edge of dress and sew next to pressed edge to hem.
- Make shoulder ties from two 5" strips. Fold RST so long edges meet and sew 1/4 from all cut edges leaving a 3" opening in the center for turning. Turn right side out and use a wood dowel or chopstick to carefully push out corners; press well. Topstitch close to all edges; sewing opening closed.
Repeat for the second tie. Attach a safety pin to one end of tie and feed it through the front casing; repeat with second tie for the back casing. Pull to gather and tie at shoulders. Note: For quick serged ties, sew with wrong sides together and finish edges with a serged rolled hem.
- Make lower ruffle from two matching 5" strips. Place ruffle strips RST matching edges and corners. Pin the short edges and sew with a 1/4" seam to create a circle; press seams open. Press long edges 1/4" to the wrong side and then press in again 1/4" to hem both sides. Sew close to pressed edges.
- Lay ruffle flat so seams meet and mark the center along both top edges. Sew 1/2" from the top edge with a long gathering stitch, stopping at each side seam and leaving a long thread tail. Repeat 1/4" from the first gathering row.
- Find and mark the center front and back at bottom of dress. Place top edge of ruffle 1" above bottom edge of dress. Match seams, placing pins at seams and center marks. Pull threads, adjusting gathers evenly to fit the dress. Sew along rows of gathering or zigzag between to attach ruffle to dress.
- Make decorative ruffle band from the remainder of the 5" strip left over from cutting the pockets. Cut three pieces 1"x20" and sew together on the short end to make a continuous length; press seams open. Fold both long edges under 1/4" and press well. Pin band over gathering stitches. Topstitch close to both edges. To finish the band, overlap ends 1/2" and trim any excess. Fold under 1/4" twice; pin and sew.
Finished Care Instructions: Machine wash warm and hang to dry. Press on cotton setting if needed.