SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- For Each:Styrofoam™ brand foam eggs: one 3-7/8"x5-7/8" and one 3"Design It®: Foam Cutter or knife from the Make It: Fun® Foam ToolsTwo 30 mm oval wiggle eyesBlack map pin (or large head sewing pin)10" length of 18 gauge black wire2" length of 24 gauge red wireTwo 8mm black beadsToothpickSewing pinsCraft snipPaintbrushPencilRulerTacky Glue8" scissors5" precision tip scissorsOld newspapersTransparent tapeFor Lady Bug:9"x12" felt: black & redAcrylic paint: cadmium yellow, citron green, lamp black
- For Bee:9"x12" felt: blackAcrylic paint: cadmium yellow
For Lady Bug:
1. For body, ask an adult to cut a 2" diameter slice off the large, round end of large egg. For head, similarly, place small egg horizontally on table and slice off 1"x1-1/2" oval area.
2. Cover worktable with newspapers. For body, place large egg upright on cut end. Use pencil to draw line, dividing egg in half, from narrow end of egg to base (going all around egg). Paint half Citron Green and half Lamp Black. Let dry. Paint second coat is needed. For head, paint narrow end of egg Cadmium Yellow and large, round end Lamp Black. Let dry and paint second coat if needed.
3. Cut out a wing from red felt. Repeat to make second one. Cut out six legs and eight spots from black felt. Position four circles on each wing and use Tacky glue to attach. Let dry.
4. Refer to photo to position body on work surface. Use toothpick to join head to body, but wait to glue. Slightly overlap rounded ends of wings and tuck under back of head. Secure with Tacky glue and insert sewing pins to hold while drying. Glue two legs to each side of body and attach two legs under egg, extending out beyond edge. Glue head in place, at desired angle for personality.
5. For features, glue eyes to face, keeping features low for a cute look. For nose, push map pin in place. For mouth, bend red wire into “smile," then bend 1/2" of each cut end back and insert below nose.
6. Use craft snip to cut Black wire in half. For antennae, bend zig-zags into wire. Insert bead on end of each wire. (Apply glue if needed to hold.) Insert other ends into top of head. Position as desired.
1. For body, refer to photo to position body and ask an adult to use FloraCraft® Design It™: Foam Cutter to cut 1-3/4"x2-1/2" diameter slice off bottom of large egg. For head, similarly, place small egg horizontally on table and slice off 1"x1-1/2" oval area.
2. Cover worktable with newspapers. Paint head and body with two coats Cadmium Yellow and let dry.
3. Use ruler and scissors to measure and cut two 1"x12" lengths Black felt. Set aside. Cut out two wings, two legs and stinger from black felt.
4. For stripes, refer to photo to wrap and glue felt lengths around body. Trim excess so that ends just meet. Let dry.
5. Refer to photo to position body on work surface. Use toothpick to join head to body, but wait to glue. Scrunch together straight edges of wings and slightly overlapping, tuck under back of head. Secure with Tacky glue, using sewing pins to hold while drying. Glue leg to each side of body. Glue head in place.
6. Glue along straight edge of stinger and attach to bee. Fold down point, extending out. For antennae, follow Lady Bug, Step 6.