Kid's Room Painted Plaque
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Walnut Hollow wide name signboard
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Lemonade, Snow White, Lamp Black, Hauser Medium Green, Santa Red, Burnt Umber, Cadmium Yellow
- Laurie Speltz's Instant Images Jungle Safari Journal templates
- Tools & brushes: 1/4" & 3/8" duo tools, short liner, 3/4" flat brush
- Painter's tape
- Fine sandpaper
- Paper Towels
- Basecoat board Lemonade with 3/4" flat brush. Let dry. Lightly sand. Wipe off. Add second coat. Let dry.
- Review template "how to" information. Position the decorative edge from template A. Tape adjacent area around shape with painter's tape. Using stencil brush end of duo tool, pounce Hauser Medium Green along edge of board. Repeat on the other end.
- Position gator shape onto surface. Use 3/8" duo tool to apply color into shapes on template. Dip brush end into paint and pounce excess onto paper towel. Start in middle of shape and move to outside with light, up-and-down pouncing motion. Lighten pressure as you move toward edge. Let dry between coats.
- Repeat procedure to apply the green base color for snake and bird shapes. When shapes are dry, reposition and lightly pounce Burnt Umber on the bottom parts of the shape to create shading.
- Use the scored lines on templates to help position overlay shapes onto the original basecoated shape.
- Paint gator overlay Snow White using the 1/4" duo tool to apply. Let dry. Add coats as needed. Add Hauser Medium Green dots on back and Burnt Umber dots on nose. Use stylus to pull Snow White dots to create teeth. Dilute Burnt Umber to ink consistency. Use liner brush to add lines on gator belly and nose.
- The bird nose and belly overlay is pounced Snow White. Pounce red part of beak and tail feathers with Santa Red. Apply second coat of both colors. Use short liner to paint Cadmium Yellow on white area of beak. Add a dot of Cadmium Yellow to tail, pull back for a feathered look.
- Position overlay on snake. Pounce Santa Red pattern on back, tongue; Cadmium Yellow dots on the back.
- Finish animals by adding Snow White dots for eyes. Let dry. Add pupils of Lamp Black.
- Refer to photo/PDF. Add dots of Santa Red, Hauser Medium Green, Snow White and Cadmium Yellow.
- Apply lettering with diluted Burnt Umber. Use the end of the brush to add large dots to the lettering.