SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Styrofoam™ brand foam: three 18"x12"x1" sheets
- Fabric apron kit
- 1/2" ribbon
- 3/4" pearl headpins
- Serrated knife
- Low-temperature glue gun & glue sticks
- Black marker
- Dull pencil
1. Glue the three sheets of foam together side by side to create a 36"x18" panel. Cut out all fabric pieces from the apron kit, leaving about a 1/2" gluing allowance. Lay the apron pattern on the foam panel face-side down and use a dull pencil to press an outline through the fabric into the foam. Press the outline all the way around the apron pattern about 1" in from the apron edge, creating a torso silhouette. Remove the fabric from the foam. If the outline is hard to see on the foam, draw over it with a black marker. Cut out the torso silhouette using the serrated knife. Use pieces of foam scraps to “sand” the edges of the foam torso until smooth. Save the remaining foam scraps for a future project.
2. Center the fabric apron face up onto the foam torso. Wrap the fabric edges around and attach to the back of the foam using low-temperature glue. Glue one side and then the opposite side, pulling snug to keep the apron centered. Attach the neck tie with glue and use for the hanger. Attach the pockets and ruffle trim if included in kit. The waist ties do not need to be attached.
3. Crisscross four pieces of ribbon across the front of the apron, as shown, gluing at the back. Push in pearl headpins where the ribbons cross.