Knit Monster Pillows
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Worsted weight yarn, 5 colors
- Knitting needles, size 7
- Double-pointed knitting needles, size 7
- Crochet hook, size G
- Yarn needle
- Polyester stuffing
- Sewing machine, optional
Using single point needles, cast on 40 stitches.
- Knit 1 row.
- Purl 1 row.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 for stockinette stitch. Change colors as desired to form a striped pattern. When piece measures 8 to 10 inches, or desired size, start decreasing.
- On right side, knit 1, SSK, knit to last three st., 2tog, knit 1.
- Next row: purl
- Repeat last two rows until 20 st. remain.
- Next row: repeat step 5.
- Purl 1, p2tog, purl to last three st., SSP, purl 1.
- Repeat steps 8 & 9 until 6 stitches remain, bind off.
- Make second side the same as first side.
- To make legs: Use double-pointed needles, cast on 12 st. Divide evenly onto 3 needles. Join into round, being careful not to twist stitches. Knit in round, changing colors as desired, until piece is 12" or desired length. Bind off.
- Finishing: Sew front and back together using yarn needle and leaving opening for stuffing. Stuff and sew opening closed. Sew legs to bottom with yarn and yarn needle. Alternate method: Pin legs to bottom with cast on edge lined up with bottom edge. Pin front to back with legs inside. Sew on sewing machine, using 1/4" seam allowance. Leave opening for stuffing. Turn and stuff. Sew opening with yarn needle.
- To make eye: Using crochet hook, chain five. Make 2 sc in back loop of second chain from hook. Make 1 sc in back of next two loops, then make 2 sc in back of next loop. Join with slip st. to first sc. Chain 1, 2sc in next sc., 1 sc in each of next 3 sc, 2 sc in each of next 2 sc, 1 sc in next 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc. Join with sl st. to first sc and fasten off. Sew to top of Monster.
- Using contrasting color, chain 5, join with sl st. to form ring. Make 5 sc in ring, join with sl st. and fasten off. Sew to previous crocheted piece tocomplete eye.