Idea Market Lace-Trimmed Burlap Purse
- 1/2 yd burlap
- 1/2 yd cotton fabric
- 3/4 yd fusible interfacing
- 1 set magnetic snap
- 1 yd lace
- 7" bamboo purse handles
- Scissors or rotary cutter & mat
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
- Pen or pencil
- Iron, pressing surface
DIRECTIONS: Seam allowance 1/2". RS = Right side(s) WS = Wrong side(s)
1. Fuse interfacing to WS of front/back & facing burlap pieces.
2. Pin lace to top edge of front/back. Baste. Set aside.
3. Fold tab strips in half lengthwise. Press. Open up and fold raw edges to meet with crease. Press. Fold in half lengthwise again. Stitch both long edges. Cut strip into four 3" tabs.
4. Feed tabs through loops on handles. With raw edges even, pin tabs to top edge of front/back, (13 1/2" side) center handles on each panel. Baste.
5. RS together & edges even, pin front to back. Stitch sides & bottom edge. Clip corners. Turn RS out.
6. On outside & matching seams, fold up bottom corners 1 3/4"; pin & tack fold in place.
7. RS together & edges even, pin facing to top edge of lining. Stitch.
8. Press seam allowance toward lining & edge stitch along seam on lining.
9. Attach magnetic snap to the facing, following manufacturer’s instruction. Center snap between sides & place 1/2" up from seam.
10. With RS together & edges even, pin lining. Stitch sides & bottom edge; leave 7" open for turning. Opening must be large enough for handles.
11. Fold corners on bottom of lining as on front/back, before turning RS out. Stitch corners in place.
12. Slip lining over front/back. With RS together & edges even, pin top edge with handles tucked down between layers.
13. Pull lining out. Stitch along top edge of facing, catching seam allowance underneath.
14. Slip stitch opening in lining closed.
15. Tuck lining inside bag. Press top edge.