Lace Trimmed Maxi Dress
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
NOTE: Measure before purchasing fabric. Measure chest or bust at the fullest point. Subtract 2" to determine the amount needed in inches.
- Style in an Instant 54” wide shirred rayon dress fabric
- 1 package single fold bias tape to match fabric
- 2 ½-3 yards ¼” wide elastic
- Sewing thread
- Sewing machine and basic sewing supplies
- Follow steps 2-5 to cut the pieces.
- Straighten one cut edge before beginning. Starting at the straightened edge, measure the piece for the skirt the waist measurement plus about 4”- 6” for the wrap front. Cut across the shirred section along the sixth row of shirring from the bottom. Then cut straight down to the bottom edge.
- Cut the piece for the crop top the bust measurement minus 2” from the remaining shirred area.
- Measure two sleeves the measurement of the upper arm minus 1”. Cut along the tenth row of shirring from the top edge.
- Cut two straps 1 3/8” wide and long enough to go over the shoulders
- Follow steps 7-19 to make the crop top and skirt.
- Place the piece for the skirt around the waist wrapping the left side over the right. Mark the position on the shirred section where the overlap ends. Mark the seamline ½” from the overlap. With the right side up, trim ½” from the side edge of the shirring.
- Zigzag stitch along the edge.
- With right sides together match the seamline of the left side to the marked seamline on the right. Stitch from the top edge to about 7”-9” below the shirred waistband. Zigzag finish the edge along the seam allowance only. Do not stitch through the overlap.
- Turn right side out and baste the top edges of the overlap together.
- Determine the desired length of the skirt and add ½”. Using the curved pattern, trim the lower corners of the skirt.