SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Land of Whimzie® items, Trendy Baby or Sweet Baby collection:
- 1 pkg Chunky Strips
- 1 pkg Plush
- 1 pkg Flannel
- Sewing machine
- Acrylic ruler, rotary cutter, mat
- Iron and pressing surface
- Basic sewing supplies
Finished Size: 28"x33"
1. Cut each Chunky Strip into four 5" squares to make 16 squares. From the Flannel 1-yd piece, cut two side borders 6"x25", two top and bottom borders 6"x29", and four 5" squares.
2. Arrange the twenty 5" squares randomly as shown, or plan your own pattern. Place in rows of 4 across, 5 down. When you are satisfied with the arrangement, pin, and sew right sides together using a 1/4" seam allowance. Rows will measure 5"x18½". Make 5 rows. Press seams to one side, each row in alternating direction, to make matching intersections easier.
3. Matching intersections and raw edges, pin and sew rows together. Press. Center patchwork will measure 18½"x23".
4. Add side borders, which are cut slightly over size. Trim to match patchwork, pin, and sew. Press seams out toward the borders. Add top and bottom border in the same way. Trim, pin, sew and press.
5. Place plush right side up on a flat surface. Place quilt top right side down. Do not trim plush to match quilt top. Pin edges well, placing pins every 2", adding more if necessary. A walking or even feed foot may be helpful. Sew around quilt top edge using a 1/4" seam. Leave 6" open in the center of one side for turning.
6. Trim plush backing even with quilt top and turn inside out. Hand stitch the opening closed.
7. Quilting by hand, or machine stitching “in the ditch,” or tying the layers together will accent the patchwork.
8. Care of finished project: Hand or machine wash cold gentle cycle; lay flat to dry.