LININGS GUIDE HOW- TO SHEET
The Importance of Linings
- Selecting the proper lining & interlining is very important when making window treatments for your home. You can create specific results for your room by adjusting your lining & interlining choices.
- The right lining enhances the look of window treatments & protects the face fabric from moisture & sun damage, so they look beautiful longer.
- Lining provides a professional finish & adds body to the fabric so curtains hang well. Pleated curtain headings especially benefit from lining.
- Properly lined window treatments can provide significant insulating benefits & reduce your home’s energy usage.
- Interlining is soft, loosely woven fabric placed between the face fabric & lining for extra body & insulation. TIP: A curtain is heavier with interlining & requires a strong rod for hanging.
- Most linings come in a 54" fabric width. Choose lining with similar construction as the face cloth to hang well together. Dry cleaning is recommended.
- Do you need to block out all light for people who sleep during the day, rather than at night?
- Is noise pollution an issue? Heavy lining provides a degree of sound-proofing for homes in urban environments where light & noise at night can be problematic.
- Is privacy a concern? Do curtains need to be opaque?
- Would you like to be more energy efficient?
- Will your window treatments face direct sunlight?
Here are several questions to consider when choosing lining: