Little Black Party Skirt
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Black satin rosette special occasion fabric (designer used 1-1/2 yds)
- 2” black elastic (Note: Amount needed will be size of waist minus 1”)
- Sewing machine
- Basic sewing supplies
1. Measure the distance around waist. Measure the distance from the waist down to where the skirt length will end.
2. Fold the fabric in half vertically and in half horizontally.
3. Take the waist measurement, minus 1” and divide by 6. Using this measurement and starting at the folded corner of the fabric measure out along the folded edge. Place a pin at the mark. Keeping the ruler or measuring tape stationary at the folded corner of the fabric move the marked end over from the edge a 1/2" and place another pin. Keep repeating this process until reaching the other edge of the folded fabric and there is a nice arc made of pins. This will be for the waist.
4. Move the measuring tape or ruler to the pin on the folded edge. From the pin measure down the length that is desired for the skirt. Follow the waist pin line around measuring from the waist down creating an arc similar to the waist arc. (Only much larger). This will be the bottom of the skirt.
5. Cut along both the waist pin line and the pin line at the bottom of the skirt. The skirt is now formed.
6. Cut elastic 1” smaller than the waist measurement, and sew ends together to form a circle.
7. Place elastic in 4 equal quadrants and pin on the top of the skirt.
8. Sew elastic in place.
9. Hand hem the skirt.