Option: this can be done as a no-sew project by gluing items in place instead of sewing.
1. Sew a 3" channel at the top of the burlap. Fray burlap on remaining three sides.
2. The face hole placement is determined by the general height of the participants. Draw oval. Zigzag stitch around the oval 4-5 times to reinforce; do not cut opening yet.
3. Sew the T-shirt to the burlap, with the back of the shirt facing front, to achieve a higher neckline. Leave the sleeves unattached, so arms can be repositioned, if desired. Nip in the waist of the t-shirt. Sew a few rows of lace over the T-shirt neckline.
4. Cut fabrics: Striped skirt – 14" x 42", purple cats – 6" x 42", orange net – 6-1/2" x width of fabric, purple net – 4-1/2" x width of fabric
5. The striped skirt layer is doubled over, like a pillowcase. Sew gathering stitches across the open end, leaving 1" of fabric above the stitches. Gather to match the shirt width, and tie off threads. Sew and gather the purple skirt, which is single thickness. Sew and gather the 2 net skirts. Stitch them onto the burlap, covering the bottom part of the T-shirt.
6. Arms: Cut four 9" x 3" sleeves. Sandwich black felt between the two layers and stitch a seam down each edge, leaving 2-1/4" between stitch lines. Trim edges with pinking shears. Make 2. Trace hands onto foamie, cut out, and glue one inside each arm. Wrap tulle lace three times around wrist and stitch into place. When glue is dry, attach other end of arms inside each sleeve, and stitch into place.
7. Legs: Cut four 11" x 4-1/2" legs. Insert felt between the layers, and construct as for arms. Distance between stitch lines is 3-1/2". Trim with pinking shears.
8. Trace and cut boots from stiff felt. Cut notches at the top of each boot, so it fits inside the leg. Glue in place. Cut the feather wristlets, seal the raw ends with glue, and then glue the wristlet at the top of the boot, where it meets the leg. When all glue is dry, safety pin the legs under the skirt (pinning allows you to adjust the height of the witch if necessary).
9. Tear fabric into thin strips for hair. Stitch small bundles together and attach around the face hole.
10. Cut hat pieces from foam; glue a fabric band to the crown. Glue short pieces of torn fabric inside the curve of the hat brim, for bangs. Attach hat with glue or Velcro.
11. Embellish neckline, hat, waistband, etc. with purchased or hand-crafted flowers. To hand-craft, gather 1" strip of purple fabric to form a flower. Cut 4 layers of orange netting, and gather at the center with needle and thread. Stitch both these onto a larger purple circle. Cut orange netting like petals, attach gemstone, and glue to hat.
12. To make hands and feet repositionable, attach Velcro® to them, and to the burlap.
Optional: Create a Cat to go along with witch to be able to shoot 2 faces for photos.
SHIPPINGShipping your purchase is easy at JOANN! Orders typically leave our warehouses within 1-3 business days (Mon-Fri). Delivery date depends on the destination address and the shipping method. You’ll receive an email with tracking information when your order is shipped.
RETURNSReturns can be made for FREE in any of our stores.