Lotus Garden Quilt
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Stonehill Collection fabrics by Donna Wilder 3/4 yd large white flower
- 3 1/2 yds backing fabric
- 54"x64" quilt batting
- Invisible machine-quilting thread or quilting threads
- Template plastic
- Sewing machine
- Iron, pressing surface
- Basic sewing supplies
- Ruler, pen or pencil
- Rotary cutter, cutting mat (optional)
- Water-soluble marker
- 5 1/2" square template
- 6" right triangle template
3/4 yd lily of the valley/poppy print
1/2 yd green lotus leaves
1/4 yd green dot on brown
1/4 yd green dot on red
1/4 yd red dot on brown
1/2 yd small white print
1 1/4 yd stripe
1/2 yd brown leaves
1 1/2 yd brown lotus medallion
3/4 yd cream lotus medallion
DIRECTIONS: Follow steps to cut the pieces for the quilt top. For triangles, if the template is indicated, center
right triangle template over fabric motif, or cut 6 " squares, then cut the squares in half on the diagonal.
1. Cut 14 squares from large white flower centered over flowers.
2. Cut 13 squares from lily of the valley/poppy print. Center 8 squares over the yellow poppies.
Center 5 squares over lily of the valley.
3. Cut 13 triangles from the green lotus leaves, using the right triangle template.
4. Cut 7 triangles from green dot on brown.
5. Cut 11 triangles from green dot on red.
6. Cut 10 triangles from red dot on brown.
7. Cut 15 triangles from the small white print.
8. Cut 11 triangles from stripe.
9. Cut 14 triangles from brown leaves.
10. Cut 13 triangles from brown lotus medallion, using the right triangle template.
11. Cut 12 triangles from white lotus medallion.
12. Cut five 1 1/2" crosswise strips from stripe for inner borders. Cut off selvedges on ends.
13. Cut six 4 3/4" crosswise strips from brown lotus medallion for borders following the diagram. Cut off selvedges.
1. Stitch all seams right sides together using 1/4" seam allowance unless indicated. Following the chart below, stitch triangles together in pairs along the long edge to make a square (FIG A).
1 Brown Lotus Medallion/Green Dot on Brown
11 Green Lotus Leaf/Green Dot on Red
12 Brown Leaf/White Floral Print
6 Stripe/White Lotus Medallion
7 Brown Lotus Medallion/Red Dot on Brown
6 Green Dot on Brown/White Lotus Medallion
5 Brown Lotus Medallion/Stripe
3 Red Dot on Brown/Small White Print
2 Brown Leaf/Green Lotus Leaf
2. Arrange squares in 8 rows of 10 squares each; follow the color photo.
Stitch the squares in each row together (FIG B).
3. Stitch rows together, matching the seam lines of the squares (FIG C).
4. For inner borders, cut one crosswise strip in half. Stitch each half to one
remaining piece, matching the print as follows: Lay one strip on top of the
2nd, overlapping them so the stripe patterns match. Mark the end of the
top piece on the bottom piece with water-soluble marker. Cut the bottom
piece 1/2" from marked line. Stitch strip pieces together with a 1/4" seam
allowance. Cut a 53 1/2" side inner border from each strip. Trim ends
diagonally. Cut remaining strips to 43 1/2". Trim ends diagonally (FIG D).
5. From two border strips, cut one piece with three lotus flower medallions & one
piece with 5 lotus flower medallions. Match the pattern and stitch each piece
to a remaining crosswise border strip. Trim the shorter top & bottom borders
to 52". Trim the longer side borders to 62". Trim ends diagonally (FIG E).
6. Center one inner border strip along each side edge of the quilt top. Stitch the seam beginning & ending 1/4" from edge of quilt top. Stitch shorter strips to top & bottom edges of quilt center in same manner (FIG F).
7. Stitch the ends of the inner border strips together at each corner (FIG G).
8. Center the border strips on the corresponding edges of the quilt. Stitch in place, beginning & ending 1/4" from edge of quilt top. Stitch the ends of the border strips together at each corner (FIG H). Layer, quilt & bind.
Finished size 50"x60".