SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Tulip® One-Step Dye™: red, blue
- Plastic tablecloth
- Paper towels
- Cotton T-shirts: 1 black, 1 white
DIRECTIONS: For best results, please read all instructions before beginning project. Refer to photo for color and design placement.
1. Prewash white T-shirt to remove sizing. Do not use fabric softener and do not dry.
2. Lay plastic tablecloth on a flat, clean surface. Lay damp shirt flat on prepared surface.
3. Wearing plastic gloves from dye box, add water to dye bottles to lines indicated on bottles.
4. Pinch damp shirt in the center. Pull up fabric about 1" then wrap a rubber band around fabric. Continue to wrap rubber bands around fabric until the entire shirt is banded, leaving a 1" gap between each rubber band.
5. Apply red and blue dyes to shirt, alternating colors until no white remains.
6. Cover shirt with plastic tablecloth to keep damp and let set for 6 to 8 hours or longer for most intense color. Wash in a large load of hottest water suitable for fabric with a small amount of laundry detergent, leaving rubber bands in place.
7. After washing, remove rubber bands. Machine dry shirt.
8. Lay tie-dyed shirt on a flat clean surface and fold in half. Use a pencil to lightly draw one side of a heart extending from fold. Cut out, following pencil line and making sure to cut through both layers of shirt.
9. Repeat step to create a much smaller heart. Refer to photo.
10. Lay black T-shirt on work surface.
11. Squeeze a thin line of Fabric Fusion around one side of the large heart. Position glue side down in the center of black shirt and press in place.
12. Repeat with small heart, referring to photo for placement.
13. Let dry completely.