Maddie Flower Belt Dress
Finished length as shown on model: 21”
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1 pkg Little Dress BoutiqueMaddie Pre-cut Dress Pieces
- 1 pkg Little Dress BoutiqueMaddie Strips
- Lightweight paper-backed fusible web: 9” x 15” (flower)
- Lightweight fusible interfacing: 3” x 30” (belt)
- 1/2” sew-on hook and loop tape: 3” (belt)
- 1” covered or regular button
- Wood dowel or chopstick
- Safety pin
- Rotary cutter, acrylic ruler & mat
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
- Iron & pressing surface
Read all instructions before beginning project. Do not pre-wash fabrics. Use a 1/4” seam allowance and sew fabrics with right sides together (RST) unless otherwise noted. Backstitch at the beginning and end of each seam to secure stitching. Before cutting, press fabrics with a dry iron on cotton setting. Finish seam allowances with zigzag or serge stitching, or pinking shears.
FITTING: The Maddie Flower Belt Dress as pictured is 21”. Consult the fitting information section from the Little Dress BoutiqueMaddie Pre-cut Dress Pieces package for fitting guidelines. Depending on the techniques you choose for embellishment, finished dress length may vary.
- Follow Steps 1-4 of the dress instructions to make the dress.
- Make shoulder tie from a 5” strip. Fold RST so long edges meet and sew 1/4” from all cut edges leaving a 3” opening in the center for turning. Turn right side out and use a wood dowel or chopstick to carefully push out corners; press well. Topstitch close to all edges; sewing opening closed. Attach safety pin to the end and feed through front and back casings. Pull to gather and tie on one shoulder. Note: For quick serged ties, sew with wrong sides together and finish edges with a serged rolled hem.
- Make belt from a different 5” strip. Cut strip to desired length plus 4”. Cut fusible interfacing the same length and 2-1/2” wide. Align with long cut edge on one side and fuse to wrong side following manufacturer’s directions. Fold RST so long edges meet and sew 1/4” from all cut edges leaving a 3” opening in the center for turning. Turn right side out and use a wood dowel or chopstick to carefully push out corners; press well. Topstitch close to all edges, sewing opening closed. Sew 3” piece of hook and loop tape, centered, 1/2” from each end, with one on the front and one on the back for the closure.
- Make the dimensional flower from a 5” strip. Using the pattern provided, trace two each of the large and small flowers on paper side of fusible web. Fuse the four flower shapes to the wrong side of the fabric strip according to the manufacturer’s directions. Cut out flowers on the drawn lines and remove the paper. Tip: Score paper backing with a pin to remove backing easier. Fuse, glue side down, on the wrong side of the remaining fabric according to the manufacturer’s directions. Cut out around outside of the two large and two small flowers. To add dimension to one small and large flower, fold flower in half to find and mark the center. Sew 1/8” from the fold approximately 1” in the center. Re-fold flower and sew again making a “plus”.
Layer flowers with seams down as follows: large flat, large dimensional, small flat, small dimensional, staggering the petals. Hand-sew together through the middle of the stack. Cover a 1” button with coordinating fabric and attach to the center or use a regular button. Hand stitch flower to desired position on belt.
- To hem the bottom edge, fold and press 1/4” to the wrong side. Then fold and press it again 1/2” to the wrong side and sew along the pressed edge.
Finished Care Instructions: Machine wash warm and hang to dry. Press on cotton setting if needed. Hand wash belt as needed, lay flat to dry.
Items in This Collection
Item # prd3164
Available for U.S. Shipping Only