Maddie Maxi Dress
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1 pkg Little Dress Boutique™ Maddie Pre-cut Dress Pieces
- 1 pkg Little Dress Boutique™ Maddie Strips
- 1 pkg Little Dress Boutique™ Maddie 1 Yard
- 1 covered or decorative button: 3/4"
- Ponytail elastic or hair clip for folded flower hair tie
- Wood dowel or chopstick
- Safety pin
- Rotary cutter, acrylic ruler & mat
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
- Iron & pressing surface
Read all instructions before beginning project. Do not pre-wash fabrics. Use a 1/4” seam allowance and sew fabrics with right sides together (RST) unless otherwise noted. Backstitch at the beginning and end of each seam to secure stitching. Before cutting, press fabrics with a dry iron on cotton setting. Finish seam allowances with zigzag or serge stitching, or pinking shears.
- Follow Steps 1-4 of the dress instructions to make the dress.
- Make shoulder ties from a 5" strip. Cut one strip in half lengthwise into two 2-1/2"x42" strips. Fold one cut strip in half RST so long edges meet and sew 1/4" from all cut edges leaving a 3” opening in the center for turning. Turn right side out and use a wood dowel or chopstick to carefully push out corners; press well. Topstitch close to all edges, sewing opening closed. Repeat with remaining cut strip for the second tie.
Attach a safety pin to one end of tie and feed it through the front casing; repeat with second tie for the back casing. Pull to gather at shoulders. Note: For quick serged ties, sew with wrong sides together and finish edges with a serged rolled hem.
- Make the double upper ruffle from four 5" strips. Place two matching ruffle strips RST matching edges and corners. Pin and sew two short edges together; press seams open. Repeat with the second strip set.
Sew both sets together along the length of the ruffle; press seam open. Place the two short ends RST with seams matching and pin. Sew together creating a circle and press seams open. To hem long edge of lower ruffle, press 1/4" to the wrong side and then press in again 1/4" and sew close to pressed edge. Option: Serge a narrow rolled hem.
- Make large bottom ruffle from 1 yard. Cut two pieces 18"x42". Place pieces RST matching edges and corners; pin and sew two short edges together. Repeat with the other ends to make a circle. Press seams open.
- Place wrong side (WS) of double upper ruffle on right side of the large bottom ruffle with seams aligned and top raw edges even, pinning often. Lay large ruffle flat so seams meet and mark the center along both top edges. Using longest stitch length, sew 1/4" from the top edge through both layers with a long gathering stitch, stopping at each side seam and leaving a long thread tail. Repeat 1/4" away from previous stitching.
- Pin the ruffle to the bottom edge of the dress RST with cut edges even so that side seams and center marks are matching. Adjust gathers evenly and sew ruffle to dress using a 1/2" seam.
- Determine finished dress length and shorten to desired length leaving 1/2" for hem. Press bottom edge 1/4" to the wrong side and then press in again 1/4". Sew close to pressed edge to hem the bottom ruffle.
- Make Folded Flower. From remaining strips, trace or draw three 2-1/2" and three 3" circles on wrong side and cut out. Fold wrong sides together and press each circle in half. Fold 1/3 of right edge of semi-circle under; press to make petals. Repeat with all semi-circles.
Cut a 1-1/2" base circle and mark the center on the wrong side. Place large petal points together on wrong side of base circle and match edges.
sHand tack points in place. Place small petals on top of the large petals with the middles lined up with the folded edges. Hand tack points in place. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to cover a button with remaining strip fabric and stitch to the center of the folded flower, or use a decorative button.
- Stitch or pin flower to dress bodice where desired or stitch a ponytail elastic or hair clip to flower back for hair accessory.
FITTING: The Maddie Maxi Dress as pictured is 38-1/2". Consult the fitting information section from the Little Dress Boutique™ Maddie Pre-cut Dress Pieces package for fitting guidelines. Depending on the techniques you choose for embellishment, finished dress length may vary.
Finished Care Instructions: Machine wash warm and hang to dry. Press on cotton setting if needed. Remove flower before washing dress.
Items in This Collection