Makers Guide: Burlap Fabric Baskets
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1-5/8 yd 45" wide natural burlap for basket
- 1-5/8 yd contrast lining
- 1/2 yd contrast for band
- 1-5/8 yd heavy weight iron-in interfacing
- Matching thread
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
- Iron & pressing surface
1/2"seam allowance used
- To print the patterns, click on the "Download Project PDF" button (above). Enlarge pattern to size indicated on pattern.
- From burlap cut: two 27-1/2"W x 13" H (basket); 1 oval bottom (pattern).
- Repeat with lining fabric and interfacing.
- Cut two 27-1/2"W x 9"H contrast for band.
- Follow manufacturer’s directions and fuse interfacing to wrong side of basket pieces.
- Sew both 13" sides together, stopping 1/2" from bottom.
- Press seams open.
- Sew bottom to basket; clipping as needed.
- Trim interfacing close to stitching.
- Sew both 9" ends of band together; press seams open and press band in half.
- Baste band to RS of basket.
- Sew lining as above; leaving an opening in the bottom for turning.
- With RST, sew lining to basket.
- Turn RS out and press.
Items in This Collection