Makers Guide: Fabric Handwarmers
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Flannel fabric, assorted patterns
- Light weight interfacing
- Sewing machine
- Basic sewing supplies
- Embroidery thread
- Hand embroidery needle
- For one pair:
- Cut four pieces of interfacing 4" square.
- Place two pieces together and machine sew around three sides using 1/8" seams.
- Turn the piece right side out, and fill with 1/3 cup of rice.
- Sew last side closed to create a rice pillow. Repeat with other two squares.
- Cut four pieces of flannel fabric 4" square.
- Cut a length of embroidery thread and knot one end.
- Place two pieces of flannel, right sides out.
- Blanket stitch with the embroidery thread around three sides of the piece.
- Place the rice pillow into the pocket just created.
- Blanket stitch the last side to finish the piece.
- Repeat with other two squares.
- Place hand warmers in the microwave for 20 seconds and test to see if they are the temperature desired. Microwave another 5 seconds and try out. Continue until the right temperature. Keep track of how long they were in the microwave for future uses.
Caution - watch the warmer in the microwave and do not leave it long as it may burn.