Mantle Decorating Tips
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Piece of natural wood with tree bark still on it, size of choice
- Woodburning kit with the different tips
- 6" piece of twine
- Staple gun
- Ruler at least 12" long
- Figure out how many lines of wording you want on your wood plaque.
- Lines are usually 3/4" apart in spacing.
- Draw a centerline in the plaque from top to bottom.
- Count the number of letters in each line including the spaces. Divide the number in half to determine the middle letter of the sentence.
- Start drawing the letters from the centerline to the right and then come back to the centerline and draw the letters working from the center to the right to complete the sentence. Do this for each line.
- Another option is to lay out the entire verse on a computer. Print it the size it will be on the plaque. Tape the piece of paper down on the plaque where the words will be woodburned. Slide a piece of carbon paper underneath the printed words and retrace the letters onto the plaque.
- Using the woodburner, follow the instructions on the box. Preferably use the smaller slanted tip to burn in the letter.
- Attach a 6" piece of twine with a staple gun on the back for hanging the plaque on the wall when not in use.
- Velvet Pumpkins
- Galvanized Pitcher
- Pre-Made Wreaths
- Plaid Pillows and Throws
- Group items in odd numbers
- Everything does not have to be in the middle, slightly off center is nice too
- Very scale and height
- Layering items
- Put your passions on display, if you love floral create a floral piece to add to your mantel
- Mixing textures and materials helps to make it interesting