Market Bag & Coupon Holder
Project Courtesy of: Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 45" Home Decor fabric
- 2/3 yd for bag
- 1/3 yd for handles
- Matching thread
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
- Optional: 12"x8-1/2" cardboard for bottom
- 1/4 yd each of 4 coordinating fabrics
- Matching thread
- 1. Cut fabric as follows – two pieces 16"x12-1/2" for front and back; one piece 9"x43-1/2" for sides and bottom; two pieces 5"x44" for straps.
- Fold straps in half lengthwise and press. Open and fold edges in to middle. Refold and press. Place inside edge of strap 3" in from each edge of front. Top stitch both sides of strap to approximately 5" from the top. Repeat with back piece.
- Reinforce corners and clip.
- Using 1/4" seam, stitch front to side/bottom, clipping and pivoting at corners. Repeat with back piece. Press seams toward sides. If desired, seams can be finished with serging, zigzag or Fray Check.
- Fold down 1-1/2" on top and then under 1/4", press. Then edge stitch in place keeping handles free.
- Continue top stitching straps to bag and along strap edges, reinforcing with x-stitch at top edge of bag.
- Optional: Cover cardboard with fabric and place in bottom of bag.
- Cut one 8" square Fabric A (outside); Cut one 8" square Fabric B (inside); Cut two 8"x7" Fabric C (pockets); Cut two 8"x5-1/2" Fabric A (pockets); Cut two 8"x4" Fabric D (pockets); Cut one 1-1/2"x34" (binding) or use purchased double fold tape.
- Fold each piece for pockets in half lengthwise .
- Place 8" squares wrong sides together, with inside up.
- Beginning with largest pocket, place on inside aligning edges and bottom on top and bottom of wallet. Continue with each pocket.
- Baste around all edges.
- Fold 1-1/2"x34" piece in half lengthwise and press. Open and fold edges to middle. Refold and press.
- Stitch to edging of holder, pivoting at corners and catching top and bottom.