Mesh Ice Cream Cone
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- FloraCraft&® foam block: 18“ x 12“ x 2“
- Decorative mesh:21“ wide x 2-1/2 yds., Bronze21“ wide x 3-1/2 yds., Yellow6“ wide, 1-2/3 yds., Hot Pink
- Floral wire
- Floral pins
- Serrated knife
- Glue gun & glue sticks
- Wire cutter
1. Use ruler and pencil to measure, and serrated knife to cut, the foam to 12“ x 14“. (Save small piece for another project.) Vertically place foam on table. To make ice cream cone triangle, draw lines from top corners to bottom middle, making a 14“ tall triangle that is 12“ wide at top. Use serrated knife to cut.
2. Use scissors to cut one 46“ length Bronze Mesh. Fold in half so that it measures 23“ long. Place mesh on table. Set foam triangle in center. Bring top and sides of mesh up and around to surface, pinning to secure with floral pins. (Note: work on opposite sides as you go to secure mesh, noticing that the top foam points will not be covered yet.)
3. Turn over foam triangle to front. To cover one of those points, cut 28“ length Bronze mesh. Fold in half so that it measures 14“ long. At top corner, apply line of glue along mesh edge on Foam triangle. Set folded edge 14“ long mesh into it, holding until dry. Wrap the excess mesh at top and sides and secure on back with floral pins. Repeat with other side to create a smooth front and secure on back.
4. For ice cream, use scissors to cut five 24“ lengths Yellow mesh. Use wire cutter to cut five 8“ lengths floral wire. With one mesh length, fold both ends into middle, finger-gather and tightly bind so that cut ends and mesh middle are bound by wire. Trim wire ends to 1/4“ length. (Note: This looks like two large bow loops.) Repeat with other four mesh lengths.
5. Set one mesh “bow“ aside for now. Use floral pins to hold gathered areas on each of four bows and insert into top edge of bronze foam triangle, evenly spaced. Allow loops to curl and flow into each other to create puffs. With fifth bow, fill in as needed, tucking away gathered areas so that wire doesn‘t show, as much as possible. Hot glue floral pins in place if they work their way out.
6. For cherry, similarly make 5“ diameter ball, using four 14“ lengths of Hot Pink mesh bows, tucking them into each other to make a 5“ diameter ball. Adjust and fluff loops to create rounded mesh puff. Hot glue as needed to hold. Hot glue on top, into yellow mesh ice cream.
7. To hang, insert large paper clip into upper back of triangle cone, allowing end of clip to extend out for hanger loop. Secure with hot glue.