SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 2 skeins Sensations™ Casual Boucle Yarn, black multi
- Needle felting pad & tool
- Felt craft square
- Black sewing thread
- Marking pencil
- Knitting needles Size 8 or size to obtain gauge
- Roving, 1 pkg each: blue, green, black
- Hand sewing needle
- Tape measure
DIRECTIONS: Use one strand of yarn throughout. Cast on 48 stitches loosely. Work all rows: *K2, P2; rep from *. Rep row until piece measures 30" from cast-on row. Loosely bind off in pattern. Weave in yarn tails.
Embellishment cord: Cast on 150 stitches loosely. Next row: bind off all stitches loosely.
Needle-felted embellishment: Follow package directions for needle-felting pad and tool.
1. Cut 6" square of craft felt for circle base. Draw 3" circle in the center of the base. Refer to photo of finished spiral.
2. Beginning in center of circle, place a thin, dime-sized layer of black roving onto base. Continue encircling and needling center with rings of green & blue; then thin line of black, green, blue. Finish with circle of black. Begin each new color under the end of the previous color.
3. Needle all roving; keep edges of each color neat.
4. Turn piece over & needle from back to anchor 1st roving layer. Trim the base felt layer to the edge of roving. The circle may not be perfectly round.
5. Working on the front of the piece, needle a 2nd layer of roving, duplicating the colors of the first. Finish the top layer with another dime-sized center of roving.
6. Turn the circle; bring stray wisps at the edges to the back. Needle once around edge of entire circle.
Attach embellishment: Overlap top corners of ribbed wrap with 2" square overlap; tack in place with needle & thread. Form 3 loops of cording as the bed for the spiral and hang below the spiral. Each loop is 7" in length.
Sew tops of loops in place. Sew the spiral circle on top of the loops.