No-Sew Woodland Fairy Costume
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Dritz® no-sew notions:
1/2" braided elastic Liquid Stitch® Fabric Glue Fray Check® Straight pins Omnigrid® 6"x24" ruler
- Tulle 3 yds each: 3 colors
- Ribbon spools: 1/2"-wide, 5/8"-wide
- Felt squares: dark green, light green
- 2 wire clothes hangers
- Rotary cutter & mat or scissors
- Duck® brand duct tape
- Long stem floral bunch
- Wire cutters
- Opaque tights: adult size
- White T-shirt
1. Cut tulle into 6"-wide strips. Determine length of tutu, then double measurement when cutting strips. Measure waist. For every inch, 5 knots/strips of tulle. (7" toddler tutu has 95 knots & uses 6 yds of tulle.)
2. Cut elastic slightly larger than the waist measurement.
3. In a seated position, tie elastic around thigh. Fold a strip of tulle in half, slide the folded side under the elastic band & hold with 1 hand. With the other, wrap the 2 loose ends over elastic & through loop so bottom of tutu is pointing out. Pull snug; more knots create fuller tutu.
4. Periodically check that elastic has enough stretch to take on/off when finished. Slide tulle knots to adjust.
5. Tie elastic in a knot. Snip loose ends. Tie ribbon bow around elastic knot. Seal edges with Fray Check®.
1. Cut the hooks off the two wire hangers, leaving the
2. Hold top of both hangers together with one hand. Use the other to shape the long edge of the hangers, so the wing shapes are symmetrical.
3. Duct tape the twisted parts together, to form the center.
4. Cut the legs off the tights at the crotch. Slide one leg over each wing.
5. Tie a knot in the center, over duct tape, with loose ends of the tights. Glue in a knot & pin to hold while drying.
6. Cut 2 ribbons for wing straps. Tie each loop in a knot around the center of the wings. With knots facing out, glue straps to sides of center knot. Pin in place to dry.
7. Cut leaf shapes from felt. Glue to either side of center knot. Remove stems from flowers & glue on top of center knot. Add glitter with Liquid Stitch®.
1. Cut smaller leaf shapes from felt & glue to neckline.
2. Remove flower stems. Glue flower layers together and then to the neckline.
1. Wrap the stem from the floral bunch in 1/2"-wide ribbon. Glue ends and pin to dry.
2. Slide a flower onto tip of wire stem. Pin cluster of flowers to that flower. Add glue to the center of the cluster.
3. When dry, remove pins & tie ribbon streamers to base of floral cluster.