- Nostalgia quilting fabrics:
1/2 yd Katerina
1 1⁄3 yd Bliss
1 1⁄3 yd Lace
1/2 yd Madeline
1 yd Jamavar
2 yds Tea Dye solid
4 ½ yds Rosalyn
- Full-size batting
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
- Iron, pressing surface
DIRECTIONS: Read all directions before beginning. Press after each step. All seam allowances are 1/4".
WOF = Width of Fabric RS = Right side(s) WS= Wrong side(s)
CUTTING: Label cut pieces.
ASSEMBLY: Refer to photo.
1. Friendship Star Blocks: Make 100 half-square triangle squares. RS together, pair fifty Unit 9 with fifty Unit 6. Draw pencil line from corner to opposite corner on top square of each pair. Using a 1/4" pressure foot, sew two 1/4" seams outward from marked center line. (FIG 1)
Cut apart on line (FIG 2).
Open the 2 squares (FIG 3).
Press seam allowances toward the darker fabric.
2. Friendship Star Block: Sew 25 blocks, each using four Unit 10, one Unit 3 & four Tea Dye/Lace squares from Step 1.
3. Fence Rail Block: Sew 5 strip sets to make 24 blocks. For each set, sew the long edge together: one Unit 1, one Unit 7 & one Unit 2. Press seams in same direction. Strip set is 8" wide. Cut into twenty-four 8" blocks.
4. Starting left to right, top row, place seven squares, alternating a Friendship Star Block & a Fence Rail Block. Orient each Fence Rail Block as shown in photo. Continue 7 rows to match photo.
5. Sew blocks together in rows. Press seams on rows 1, 3, 5, 7 left. Press seams in rows 2, 4, 6 right.
6. Matching seams on each row, sew rows together in 2 sections: rows 1, 2, 3, 4 then rows 5, 6, 7. Join the sections together. Press the seams in one direction.
7. Border #1: Sew Unit 8 border strips to form long strip. Measure sides of quilt top, average that measurement and use it to cut 2 border strips. Sew borders to sides of quilt top. Repeat for top & bottom borders.
8. Repeat Step 7 with Unit 5 for Border 2.
9. Repeat Step 7 with Unit 4 for Border 3.
10. Layer, quilt & bind. Finished size: 72"x72".