Nursery Car Decor
- 1/3 yd print fabric: car body
- 12" square print fabric: wheels
- 7" square print fabric: windows
- 5"x7" print fabric: bumpers
- 2"x4" red fabric: tail lights
- 5"x7" solid fabric: hubcaps, lights & door handles
- 1/2 yd Warm & Natural® batting
- 7"x7" HeatnBond® Lite fusible interfacing
- Stiff cardboard
- Disappearing marker
- fabric-Tac® glue
- Sewing machine
- Basic sewing supplies
DIRECTIONS: Use 1/4" seam allowance. Lights, door handles & wheels are made with yo-yo circles.
To craft yo-yos, sew a running stitch around edge of circle & pull thread tightly to center. Secure thread.
1. Enlarge patterns.
2. From car print fabric, cut car front and back and a strip 3"x31".
3. Baste batting to wrong sides 1/4" from edges.
4. Fuse HeatnBond® Lite to wrong side of fabric for windows. Cut out windows and fuse to car sides.
5. Use a tight zigzag stitch to sew around all windows.
6. Use disappearing marker to draw steering wheel and door line, then zigzag over markings.
7. Fold ends of 31" piece under 1/4".
8. Beginning at the bottom center of the car, sew long strip around car, clipping curves to basting stitches.
Folded ends will meet at starting point – leave open for turning and stuffing. Repeat with other side.
9. Firmly stuff car.
10. To provide car stability, cut two 2 1/2"x 5 1/2" pieces of stiff cardboard. Carefully slide cardboard into opening. Pieces may need to be shortened according to car dimensions. Slip stitch opening closed.
11. For wheels, cut four 5" circles from fabric, four 2 1/2" circles from cardboard and four 4" circles from batting. Sew a running stitch around out side edge of circle, place the batting then the cardboard in center of circle and pull thread tightly to center. Secure thread.
12. Cut four 2" circles from the solid hubcap fabric, pull stitching and stuff lightly before securing closed. Flatten yo-yos. Glue to wheels over openings. Glue wheels to car.
13. Use lightly stuffed and flattened 1 1/2" circle yo-yos for head lights, 1 1/2" circle tail lights and door handles. Glue in place.
14. For the bumpers, cut two 2"x6" strips of fabric, sew long sides together, leaving an opening in the center for turning and stuffing. Press seam open & refold so seam is in the middle. Sew ends closed. Trim corners, turn. Lightly stuff bumpers and sew opening closed. Glue in place on car.
15. Pin yo-yos to car while glue dries. Allow glue to dry thoroughly.