Nursery Frames Quilt
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1/4 yard each of four coordinating fabrics for center squares
- 1/3 yard fabric for framing pieces
- 3/4 yard fabric for sashing
- 1/4 yard fabric for cornerstones
- 1/2 yard fabric for binding
- 1-1/2 yards fabric for backing
- One 44'x54' rectangle of batting
- Sewing machine
- Basic sewing supplies
Notes: 1/4' seam allowance used throughout
WOF = width of fabric
Size of Quilt: 38'x48'
1. Cut one 5-1/2' x WOF strips from each of the four coordinating fabrics. Sub cut into twenty 5-1/2' squares.
2. Cut two 5-1/2' x WOF strips from the framing fabrics. Sub cut into forty 1-1/2'x5-1/2' strips.
3. Stitch a 1-1/2'x5-1/2' strip to the top of a 5-1/2' square. Press seam allowance toward strip. Repeat at the bottom of the square. Stitch a 1-1/2'x7-1/2' strip to each side of the pieced unit. Press. Make twenty.
4. Cut three 7-1/2' x WOF strips for sashing. Sub cut into forty-nine 2-1/2'x7-1/2' strips. To make a row, stitch sashing pieces to pieced units, alternating five sashing pieces with four pieced units. Press seam allowances towards sashing. Make five rows.
5. Cut two 2-1/2' x WOF strips from fabric for cornerstones. Sub cut into 2-1/2' squares. Make thirty. Alternating five cornerstones with four sashing pieces, stitch together to make a row. Press seam allowances toward sashing pieces. Make six rows.
6. Stitch rows together alternating cornerstone rows with framed unit rows.
7. Piece backing as needed to make a 44'x54' rectangle.
8. Layer quilt top, batting and backing. Quilt as desired.
9. Cut five 2-1/2' x WOF strips for binding. Stitch short ends together. Press with wrong sides together and long edges even. Stitch to quilted piece with right sides together and raw edges even. Turn to the back and whipstitch in place.