Oh-So-Sweet Valentine Treats
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Cookie sheet
- Jelly roll pan
- Cooling grid
- Tip #1
- Push 'N Print Valentine Cutter Set, or Comfort Grip Heart Cookie Cutter
- Love Heart party bags
- Disposable decorating bags
- Decorator brush set
- Icing Colors: Pink, Red-Red
- Sprinkle Decorations: Heart Confetti, Valentine Nonpareils, Jumbo Hearts, Valentine
- Red Sparkle Gel
- Red Sparkling Sugars
- Roll-out cookie recipe
- Buttercream icing recipe
- Vanilla ice cream
- Plastic wrap
- Serving plate
- Roll-Out Cookie:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-2/3 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Buttercream Frosting
- 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups sifter confectioners' sugar (about 1 lb.)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In large bowl, cream butter with sugar with electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and extracts; mix well.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to butter mixture 1 cup at a time, mixing after each addition. Do not chill dough.
- Divide dough into 2 balls. On a floured surface, roll each ball into a circle approximately 12" wide and 1/8" thick. Dip cookie cutter in flour before each use.
- Bake cookies on ungreased cookie sheet 6-7 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned.
- Makes about 3 dozen cookies. Recipe may be doubled.
- In large bowl, cream shortening and butter with electric mixer. Add vanilla.
- Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often.
- When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Keep bowl covered with a damp cloth until ready to use. For best results, keep icing bowl refrigerated when not in use. Refrigerated in an airtight container, this icing can be stored 2 weeks. Rewhip before using.
- Makes about 3 cups.
- For each "Love" cookie sandwich, cut 1 heart with imprinter for bottom. If using Comfort Grip Heart Cookie Cutter, cut 2 with same cutter. For pink cookie, tint dough with pink icing color for top cookie and use double heart imprint. For double heart cookie, imprint on plain cookie dough.
- Bake and cool cookies.
- For "Love" cookie, use Red Sparkle Gel to outline imprinted message and heart. If using Comfort Grip Heart Cutters, use Red Sparkle Gel to outline freehand design. Let completely dry.
- For pink cookie top (with plain cookie bottom), brush sides with Red Sparkle Gel and roll in Red Sparkling Sugars. Use disposable decorating bag fitted with tip 1 and red icing to outline hearts and white icing to pipe-in center of hearts.
- For double heart plain dough cookie, brush sides of top cookie with Red Sparkle Gel and roll in Valentine Nonpareils; brush sides of bottom cookie with gel and roll in Red Sparkling Sugars. Use tip 1 to outline and pipe in red heart and pink heart; position Jumbo Hearts Sprinkle Decorations on top.
- Meanwhile, let ice cream soften slightly and spread 1/2' thick in jelly roll pan lined with plastic wrap; freeze to set.
- Remove ice cream from freezer and use heart cutter without imprinter or Comfort Grip Heart Cutter to cut ice cream shape for sandwiches.
- Place ice cream between 2 cookies and roll sides in sprinkle decorations.
- Place cookie sandwich back in freezer until sprinkle decorations set.
- Remove sandwich from freezer, place in plastic wrap; freeze until ready to serve.
- Each serves 1.