Ombre Jack O'Lantern Tote Bag
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Rit® Liquid Dye - Sunshine Orange, Lemon Yellow
- Canvas Tote: 100% cotton white - 14"x13-1/2"x3"
- Black felt square
- White paper
- Measuring cup
- Stirring spoon
- Rubber gloves
- 2 plastic disposable containers or large bowls for dip-dyeing
- Plastic table cover
- Paper towels
1. Wearing rubber gloves, measure and mix dyes as follows; stir well. Pour each dye color into a plastic container or bowl, large enough for dipping the bag: 1/2 Cup Lemon Yellow liquid with 4 cups very hot water and 1/2 cup Sunshine Orange liquid with 4 cups very hot water.
2. Dip entire bag into yellow dyebath for 1-2 minutes. Remove and squeeze out excess dye.
3. Dip bottom one-third of bag into Sunshine Orange dyebath. Let set for 2-4 minutes, then gradually lift and lower bag to create lighter shades.
4. Remove bag and rinse in warm water, then gradually cooler water until water runs clear. Wash with warm water and detergent; rinse and dry flat.
5. Draw pumpkin face (eyes, nose, & mouth) onto paper to create pattern. Use patterns to cut pieces from black felt.
6. Glue felt pumpkin face pieces to one side of bag.