SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Home decor fabrics of choice:
- 1-3/4 yd fabric for 28" square pillow
- 1-1/2 yd fabric for 24" square pillow
- 1/3 yd coordinating fabric for each pillow
- Pillow forms: 28" square, 24" square
- 3-3/4 yds cording
- Thread to match fabrics
- Rotary cutter, mat & grid ruler
- Basic sewing supplies
- Zipper or piping foot
- Sewing machine
- Iron & ironing surface
DIRECTIONS: Use 5/8" seam allowances except where noted.
1. Cut fabrics for each pillow:
28" square: Cut 1 front piece 28"x28", cut 2 back pieces 19"x28".
24" square: Cut 1 front piece 24"x24", cut 2 back pieces 17"x24".
2. To sew pillow backs, fold over 1/2" to wrong side on the width pieces. Repeat and press. Sew along folded edge and press for both pieces.
3. To cover cording in coordinating fabric, determine the width of fabric strips by measuring around the cording and adding 1-1/4". Cut 3 to 4 strips at that width multiplied by the width of fabric. Example: cording is 1-1/4" in diameter, strips cut are 2-1/2" times width of fabric. (Width of fabric is 45” or 54”)
4. Sew 3 to 4 strips together using 1/2" seam allowance and press open seams. Center the fabric strip on cording and stitch using a zipper or piping foot close to the cording.
5. Lay front piece right side facing towards you. Pin covered cording along the edge with raw edges to the outside and cording towards inside of fabric. Clip the raw edge of fabric on cording in each corner. Overlap at the end about 2". Cut off excess.
6. Sew cording to pillow about 1" in from the start of pinned cording. Continue sewing and stop at 2" from where the two pieces overlap. Use seam ripper to open the seam on cording for 4" at the end. Cut the inside cording piece so it matches right next to the start of the cording piece. Fold back the excess fabric 3/4" and wrap around the start of the cording for a finished look. Sew closed.
7. Lay both back pieces right sides together on the front piece. Both back pieces should have sewn edge overlapping towards center. Pin all pieces together and sew around entire pillow.
8. Clip corners and turn right side out. Press and insert pillow form.