- SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Susan Winget® quilting fabrics:
1 3/4 yds each: green, pink, floral, blue, yellow.
3/4 yd stripe for bottom quilt top
4 yds backing fabric
1/2 yd binding: top & sides
1/2 yd binding: bottom
- 2"x14" strip of fleece
- HeatnBond® Lite fusible web
- Basic sewing supplies
- Quilt batting
- Sewing machine
DIRECTIONS: RS = Right side(s). WS = Wrong side(s). WOF = Width of Fabric.
1. From background fabric, cut five 12 1/2" squares.
2. Using favorite applique technique, attach & stitch flowers to each square. In applique technique shown, flowers were traced using the pattern provided, fused with HeatnBond® Lite, then machine-appliqued to background squares.
3. For yo-yo flower centers, cut five 8 1/2" dia. circles. Fold outside edge in 1/4". Baste with 1/4" stitches. Pull thread to gather. Secure stitching. Applique yo-yo to center of each flower.
4. RS together, stitch 5 flower blocks together in a row. Set aside.
LEAVES & STEMS:
1. Cut 70 leaves: 9 green, 12 pink, 14 floral, 18 blue, 17 yellow. Eight 4 1/2"x13 1/2" leaves can be cut from one 13 1/2"xWOF strip. Hold 2 rectangles, RS together. Refer to pattern. Cut 45 angles from each short side.
2. Lay out leaves. Determine fabric for partial top & bottom leaves. Cut ten 6 1/2" squares: 5 squares for the top;
5 for the bottom. Cut squares in half diagonally.
3. Stitch triangles & leaves together from top to bottom, RS together. Strip set should measure 6" wide. Trim. Repeat for each leafy section.
4. Cut six 1 1/2"xWOF strips. Stitch short ends together to form five 1 1/2"x47" stems. Stitch stems to leaf units.
5. Stitch leaf & stem units together to form center portion of quilt top.
6. Stitch flower row & leaf row together.
ASSEMBLY: Piece backing as needed to make a 65"x75" rectangle.
Layer quilt top, batting & backing. Quilt as desired.
1. Cut one 8 1/2"x14" strip from a coordinating fabric. Cut one 2"x14" piece of fleece.
2. Fold coordinating fabric strip in half lengthwise with WS together. Press. Open up strip and fold each long raw edge to the center. Press.
3. Insert fleece strip under one flap. Fold strip together. Topstitch both long edges of strip.
4. Measure bottom root edge of quilt to find the center. On right side of quilt sandwich, place inside edge of loop 3 1/2" from center with raw edges even. Repeat for other short edge. Stitch in place.
1. Cut two 8 1/2"xWOF strips. Stitch short ends together. From pieced strip, cut a 76" strip. Cut two 2"xWOF strips of fleece. Stitch together as needed to make one 76" strip.
2. Fold, press & top stitch as for short loop. Place long loop ends on back of quilt sandwich, outside the short loop, angled towards the center and stitch. Stitch in the ditch between root & leaf sections to secure long loop.
1. Cut six 2 1/2"xWOF binding strips. Stitch short ends together. Press with WS together and long sides even.
2. With raw edges even, stitch binding strip to sides and top of quilt sandwich. Do not stitch binding to bottom edge of quilt. Turn and whip stitch binding to the back.
3. For the bottom edge, cut two 6 1/2"xWOF strips. Repeat binding construction. Stitch to bottom edge with 1" seam allowance and fold 1/2" on side edges. The wider binding aids in the stability of the loop closure system.
4. Turn and whip stitch to the back with sides stitched closed.
TO PACK & CARRY QUILT:
Fold the quilt in 3rds, bringing each long side towards the center. Starting at the top, roll the quilt, wrap the long loop around the roll & pull through the short loop.