Painter Plaid Doormat
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 22⁄3 yds Marine vinyl
- Plaiditudes fabric sample for inspiration
- 1 qt red acrylic paint
- 2 oz acrylic paint, 1 each: blue, yellow, black, white, cream
- 36” straight edge (board or ruler)
- Medium-tip black marker
- Paintbrushes: round tip, 4” flat, fine tip, 1” flat
- Cardboard scrap, approx. 12”-18”
1. Cut a 24”x96” piece of marine vinyl.
2. Using the 4” flat brush, apply red paint on backside of the marine vinyl. Cover the entire surface. Allow to dry.
3. Measure and mark the plaid pattern using the 36” straight edge and a pencil.
4. Using 1” flat brush, paint black horizontal stitch lines on a 45-degree angle. Allow to dry.
5. Draw on thin vertical lines with a black marker, using the 36” straight edge as a guide.
6. Thin some blue paint with water, then paint stripes on top of black stitch lines. Make sure black stitching shows through. Allow to dry.
7. Paint on yellow vertical lines. Allow to dry.
8. Paint on thin cream line freehand, shaking hand as progressing to appear slightly wavy.
9. Using the 1” flat brush, paint a blue edge on cardboard scrap. Stamp cardboard edge vertically next to the black lines. Again, do it in a freehand, primitive looking fashion.
10. Paint white on opposite edge of cardboard and stamp it on horizontally and a bit thicker than the yellow paint. Try to achieve a hand drawn effect.
11. Let doormat dry 12 hours before using.