Patchwork Dog Bed
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1/2 yd each of six coordinating quilt fabrics
- Fusible Fleece 38"x62"
- 6 to 8 bags polyester stuffing, 16 oz each
- Basic sewing supplies
- Rotary cutter, mat and ruler
- Sewing machine
- Cut forty 3-1/2" squares of each fabric (240 total)
- In random order sew together 12 squares to form a strip one square wide by 12 squares long. Make 20 strips. Press seams to one side.
- Sew strips together to form a rectangle 12 squares wide by 20 squares long. Match seam allowances to make neat intersections. Press seams to one side.
- Iron fusible fleece to back of patchwork piece. Trim excess fleece.
- With right sides together, fold in half matching short edges and sew side seams. Sew end seam leaving an opening for turning.
- Stitch all four corners as a box.
- Turn, stuff and stitch end closed.
Patchwork Dog Bed is rated out of 5 by 2.
Rated 5 out of 5 by Pat from Doggies' Dream This project is very easy. I am a quilter, so I strip-pieced the six different fabrics together and then sliced 3.5 inch blocks. This made the project very quick and fun. I did put a zipper in for easy laundering. I found that two standard size bed pillows fit perfectly. I made one 1/2 size for my Grand Dog and one pillow was a great fit! The loose stuffing is difficult to remove. I have made three of these for gifts and everyone (and their dog) loves them!
Date published: 2009-06-01
Rated 4 out of 5 by Karen from Patchwork Doggy Bed This is a fairly quick project -- I made the squares bigger, to end up w/ a larger size for a bigger dog; I also used heavier wt fabric. I'd recommend making a liner, so the patchwork outer shell can be laundered (insert a zipper or just add a velcro closure.
Date published: 2009-02-04