Patchwork Mirror Display
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Unfinished wood frame with mirrored center
- Drop cloth
- Painter’s tape
- Rust-Oleum® Ultimate Stain
- Sandpaper: grits 120, 180, 220
- Tack cloth
- Clean lint-free rags
- Rust-Oleum® Ultimate Polyurethane
- High quality synthetic brush
1. Set-up work area in a well-ventilated space, such as an open garage. Cover work area with old newspaper or drop cloth to protect the surrounding surfaces.
2. Cover the mirror in the center of the frame with painter’s tape. Ensure that the tape touches the very edge of the wood frame.
3. Sand entire surface lightly progressing from 120 grit, to 180 grit, finishing with 220 grit. Always sand in the direction of the grain.
4. Remove sanding dust between each step by lightly dragging the tack cloth across the surface.
5. Using a clean, lint free rag, flood the entire wood surface with stain. More is better than less.
6. Let stain sit for 5 minutes then wipe off excess stain, using a clean rag, wiping in the direction of the grain. Ensure that ALL excess stain is removed from the surface.
7. Allow to dry for one hour.
8. Apply a thin coat of Rust-Oleum Ultimate Polyurethane with a high quality synthetic brush, brushing in the direction of the grain.
9. Apply a second thin coat after two hours. A third coat can be applied the following day if needed.
10. Allow to dry 2-4 hours before hanging frame.