Size: 16" x 16"
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
• Creating New Traditions Fabrics by Fabric Traditions
o 1/2 yd. violet floral print for backing and cording
o 1/8 yd. or scraps of 15 different dots, prints and zigzag stripe fabrics
o 3/8 yd. white on white print
• 21" x 21"square backing fabric
• 2 yds. narrow cotton cording
• 21" by 21" piece quilt batting
• 16" pillow insert
• Quilting thread (optional)
• Sewing Machine
• Iron and pressing surface
• Basic sewing supplies
• Rotary cutter, Mat and Ruler (optional)
1. Follow steps 2 through 4 to cut out the pieces.
2. From white on white print, cut one 7 1/4" by 7 1/4" large square. Cut two 9 3/8" by 9 3/8" squares. Cut the two larger squares on one diagonal to make 4 triangles.
3. From violet floral print, cut one 17" square for pillow back and one 2 3/4" x 2 3/4" small square. Cut three bias strips that are wide enough to go around cording plus 1/2" seam allowance on each edge.
4. Cut one 2 3/4" x 2 3/4" small square from each remaining fabric.
5. Follow steps 6 through 18 to make the pillow. Stitch all seam right sides together unless otherwise indicated.
6. Arrange the small squares around the large white square as shown in the photo or make desired arrangement.
7. Stitch the three small squares on two opposite sides of the large square together. Then stitch the five squares on the remaining two sides together.
8. Stitch the short rows to the large square.
9. Stitch the long rows to the remaining sides.
10. Stitch a white triangle centered on the edge of one row of small squares. Stitch another white triangle centered on the opposite edge. Stitch the remaining two white triangles centered on the other two edges.
11. Place the batting between the patchwork top and the backing fabric. Baste the layers together 1/4" from the edge of the patchwork.
12. Stitch along the outer edge of the large white square 1/4" from the seam. When 1/4" from the beginning of the stitching, pivot and stitch around the square 1/4" from the first row of stitches. Continue until there are five rows of stitching. Make five rows of quilting stitches along the inner edge of the white triangles that are 1/4" apart. Stitch 1/4" from the outer edge of each small square.
13. Trim the batting and backing even with the edge of the patchwork top.
14. Stitch the bias strips together on the straight grain using 1/4" seam allowance. Press seams open.
15. Fold the bias strip in half lengthwise right side out. Insert cording along fold. Baste along edge of cording using zipper foot.
16. Pin cording to pillow top around outer edge matching the raw edges. Clip cording at corners to turn cording. Beginning 2" from beginning of cording, stitch just inside the basting stitches 1/2" from the raw edges ending stitching 2" from the beginning.
17. Pull some basting stitches at end of cording. Trim cording so edges meet. Turn under end of fabric on cording and slip it under beginning of cording. Stitch along the seamline to hold the joined ends in place.
18. Right sides together, stitch pillow front to back using 1/2" seam allowance, leaving opening on one edge. Turn pillow right side out. Place insert in pillow. Turn seam allowance to inside and slipstitch edges of opening closed.
Items in This Collection
Item # prd10006
Item # 1889351
This item is unavailable. E-mail Me When Back in Stock
Item # 2183093
Online Availability: In Stock
Item # xprd840931