Patriotic Decorative Table Linens
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Fabric for table coverings:TowelingQuilting cottonLinenBurlap
- Sewing machine
- Basic sewing supplies
- Iron & pressing surface
1. Determine desired size for table linens and cut fabric to size, leaving 1“ excess on each side for hemming.
2. For a neatly finished edge (on toweling, for example), hem each raw edge by turning the fabric toward the wrong side 1/2“, iron flat, and then turn 1/2“ again. Press well with an iron. Sew across the turned edge, approximately 3/8“ from the edge, to secure hem in place.
3. To add decorative trim to the edge of fabric, match the right side and raw edge of the trim to the right side and raw edge of the fabric. Stitch using a 1/4“ seam allowance. Turn and press under the raw edge of fabric so that the remaining portion of the trim extends out. Topstitch along the edge of the fabric to secure trim in place.
4. Use hemmed and decorative edge linens as tablecloths and table runners to stage food and beverage tables. Add height to the table by stacking books and then draping with decorative table linens. Place cake stands or food trays on top.