SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1 LDB Blue Ditsy Fat Quarter (18" x 21")
- 1 LDB White Circled Flower Fat Quarter (18" x 21")
- 1 - 1-1/8" button to cover or decorative button
- 1" wide elastic – 5"
- Fusible web – 5" square
- Coordinating thread
- Safety pin
- Basic sewing supplies
- Rotary cutter, mat & acrylic ruler
- Sewing machine
- Iron & pressing surface Finished Project Size: 3" x 20"
- Read instructions before beginning project. Do not prewash fabrics. Before cutting, press fabrics with a dry iron on cotton setting. Use a ¼" seam allowance and sew fabrics with right sides together (RST) unless otherwise noted.
- Blue Ditsy: 1 - 6-1/2" x 17" (Headband) 1 - 2-3/4" x 7-1/2" (Elastic Casing) 2" circle to cover button (optional - use template)
- White Circled Flower: 3 - 2-1/2" x 21" (Flower Strip) 2 - 5" x 5" (Flower Base - use template)
- Press each short edge of the Headband (Blue Ditsy) 1/2" to the wrong side (Dia. A).
- Fold Headband RST so long edges meet and folded edges are even; pin. Sew long edges to make a tube and press the seam open. Turn right side out, press flat with the seam centered on the back of the Headband (Dia. B).
- Fold the Elastic Casing (Blue Ditsy) RST so long edges meet. Sew and press the seam open. Turn right side out and press flat with the seam centered on the back. Attach the safety pin to one end of the elastic and feed it through the casing. Stitch several times to secure the elastic to the casing at one end. Pull the elastic through, so it is even with the other end of the casing. Remove the safety pin and stitch several times to secure (Dia. C).
- Insert each end of the Elastic Casing 1/2" into an end of the Headband. Fold the sides of the Headband to the center seam; pin. Sew across the ends of the Headband to secure the Elastic Casing (Dia. D).
- To print the circle templates, click on the "Download Project PDF" button (above). Trace the 4" circle on the paper side of the fusible web and fuse to the wrong side of one Flower Base (White Circled Flower) according to the manufacturer’s directions. Cut out on the drawn line; remove the paper. Fuse, glue side down, on the wrong side of the second Flower Base (White Circled Flower) according to the manufacturer’s directions. Cut out around outside edge of the fused circle (Dia. E).
- Fold one Flower Strip (White Circled Flower) with wrong sides together so long edges meet; press. Cut the ends so they are slightly rounded. Use a long stitch length (4.0mm) to sew two rows of basting stitches, 1/4" and 1?8" from the cut edges; pull threads to gather as much as possible. Repeat to gather a total of three Flower Strips (Dia. F).
- Pin the end of one gathered Flower Strip 1/2" from the edge of the Flower Circle. Sew by hand or machine zigzag continuing in a spiral, so the folded edge overlaps and covers the gathered edge. Repeat with the two remaining flower strips, overlapping the ends. Fold the end of the top Flower Strip back on itself to cover the center (Dia. G).
- Use the 2" Circle Template to cut the Button Cover (Blue Ditsy) and follow the manufacturer’s instructions to cover the button or sew a decorative button in the?center of the Flower. Hand sew the Flower to the Headband where desired (Dia. H).
- Finished Care Instructions: Wipe with a damp cloth, hand wash or by machine on gentle cycle. Hang or lay flat to dry.