Perfect Lattice Tote
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Rit® Color Perfect Astro Turf Green, Enamel Blue
- Rit® Color Perfect Color Stay Dye Fixative
- Cotton tote bag
- Ki Memories Gossip White Lace Cardstock by Hampton Art
- Elmer's® Craft Bond multipurpose spray adhesive
- Cardboard or freezer paper
- Scotch tape
- Manila file folder
- Latex gloves
- Paper towels
- Plastic table cover
- Plastic wrap
- Old towel
1. Cover work surface with a plastic table cover.
2. Cut cardboard or freezer paper to fit inside bag. This will prevent dye from bleeding through to the other side.
3. Insert cardboard or paper into bag.
4. Use Gossip White (lattice-like) lace card stock as a stencil. Lay lace paper, underside up, on paper towels. Apply spray adhesive following manufacturer's directions. Discard sticky paper towels.
5. Place tote bag on fresh paper towels. Position lace stencil on bag and press down firmly.
6. To keep handles white, cover bag handles with manila file folder; secure with tape.
7. Shake Rit Color Perfect dye bottles before using. Dye is ready to use right out of the bottle. Remove cap from Astro Turf Green dye and screw on spray tip tightly. Test-spray dye on paper towels before spraying bag.
8. Spray green dye lightly over the lace paper and to the edges of the bag. Dab up excess dye on lace with paper towels.
9. Remove cap from Astro Turf Green dye bottle. Dip dauber that comes with the dye kit into the dye; then dab on paper towels to remove excess dye. Use dauber to brush green dye across bottom third of bag from one side to the other side.
10. Attach a dauber to the Enamel Blue bottle. Shake dye bottle; then unscrew dauber and dab excess dye on paper towels. Then brush blue dye across middle third of bag from one side to the other side. Leave top third of bag as it is. This will be the lightest shade of blue.
11. To improve color retention and to help keep the handles white, spray dye fixative liberally over lace paper design and bag. Do not remove lace paper. Let set for 20 minutes.
12. Remove lace paper. Wrap bag in plastic wrap, sealing outer edges. Place wrapped bag in microwave and heat on high for 30 seconds. If there is no scorching, heat again for 30 seconds. Carefully remove plastic (it will be hot). Allow to dry completely. Heat helps to intensify the dye colors.
13. Hold bag from the handles and rinse under cold running water until water runs clear. Then launder in warm soapy water, rinse and dry flat on an old towel.