Perky Pumpkin Place Mat
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Cotton fabric: 2-1/2 yds. for placemat 1 brown fat quarter for stem 1 green fat quarter for leaf
- 6"x6" square of lightweight batting
- 1 black felt square
- Knitting needles, size 13
- Rotary cutter, mat and ruler
- Sewing machine
- Basic sewing supplies, including scissors
- 4" Velcro strip
- Fabri-Tac glue
- Make a continuous bias strip of fabric 1-1/2" wide using the 2-1/2 yds fabric following favorite method. Wind fabric strip into large ball.
- Cast on 24 stitches.
- 1st row knit to end.
- Repeat row one until about 1-1/2 yds fabric strip remains.
- Bind off.
- Tuck ends into work and trim.
- Cut 6"x12" square of green fabric. Fold fabric in half, right sides together.
- Trace leaf pattern on one wrong side. Place batting on other wrong side, pin in place.
- Sew around entire leaf on traced pattern using short stitch length.
- Trim seam allowance and clip curves and points.
- Cut small slit through one layer of leaf fabric and turn inside out through the slit. Press.
- Sew vein lines as desired.
- Cut brown fabric 3-1/2"x20".
- Fold in half right sides together. Sew two long sides using a 1/4" seam allowance, making a pocket 3"x10". Turn inside out and press.
- Tuck top 5" into pocket to make pocket lining. Sew pocket to top of place mat to form stem.
- Place leaf near bottom of stem, pull it off to use as a coaster during meal.
- Pin face pattern to felt and cut out pieces.
- Glue Velcro on back of felt pieces, then glue corresponding half of Velcro to place mat to make Jack-'o-Lantern face. Felt pieces can be removed to wash place mat.