Perpetual Fabric Calendar
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1/2 yd black dot fabric
- 1/4 yd white dot fabric
- 1/4 yd each: black, white fabric
- 4 pkgs 3/4" Velcro dots
- 7 pkgs 3/4" covered buttons
- Twelve 5"x24" seasonal fabrics
- 4 pkgs 3/4" iron-on flock letters
- 1/2 yd Warm-n-Natural batting
- Photo computer fabric
- Computer, printer
- Fabri-tac adhesive
- Basic sewing supplies
- Black thread
- Sewing machine
- Double-sided tape
- Needle-nosed pliers
- Rotary cutter & mat
- Iron, pressing surface
SIZE: Finished size is 14"x18"
Use 1/2" seam allowance except for binding.
- Key in numbers 1 through 31 on computer, with space between to allow for the fabric to cover the buttons. Print on paper to check space before printing computer fabric. Print numbers onto computer printable fabric. Remove paper backing. Follow package directions for covering buttons. Remove center of cardboard template to center numbers. Place tape on back of fabric to keep number centered on button while covering.
- Press shank of button flat with pliers. Press loop side of Velcro dot securely into back to keep shank down.
- Cut three 17"x2" strips of 2 calendar squares fabric. Sew alternating strips together. Press seams toward dark fabric. Cut into 2" strips. Alternate strips like a checkerboard; sew a 11"x9-1/2" grid, 7 squares across x 6 squares down. Press seams.
- Print S M T W T F S with landscape setting onto computer fabric. Remove paper backing; cut fabric 11"x2". Sew to top of grid. Cut 1"x11" of black dot, sew to top of days of the week. Press seams toward dark fabric. For background, cut white dot fabric: 5-3/4"x11" for top; 1-3/4"x11" for bottom and 2"x18" for sides (Make 2).
- Sew top, bottom, then sides. Press. Cut Warm-n-Natural 14"x18" and pin or baste to back side of calendar.
- Stitch-in-the-ditch along all seams with black thread. Extend stitching between days of the week. Cut black dot fabric 14"x18. Pin or baste to back side of calendar.
- Binding: Cut two each of 3-1/2"x14" and 3-1/2" x19" strips of black dot fabric. Fold 14" binding in half lengthwise; sew 1 piece to top right sides together. Fold binding to back; blind stitch. Repeat with bottom piece. Fold 19" pieces & sew to sides. Tuck top & bottom edges.
- Apply fuzzy side of Velcro dots to calendar grid. A drop of glue will hold sticky-back Velcro to fabric.
- Cut two rectangles 4-1/2"x11" of seasonal fabric for each month. Right sides together, sew around all sides of each pair. Leave small opening for turning. Clip corners; turn right side out; press.
- Following manufacturer's directions iron on letters for each month. Glue 6 Velcro dots (loop side) to each corner, center top & bottom. Repeat for each month. Glue fuzzy side of dots to top of calendar to match up with each month.