SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 3 yds flannel
- 2½ yds sport nylon
- 6" Velcro® brand hook-&-loop tape
- 1/2 yd cotton fabric for 2 napkins
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
- Iron & pressing surface
- Washing machine & dryer
1. Preshrink flannel before cutting.
2. Press flannel and cut in half.
3. Sew lengths together creating 54"x80" piece. Measure finished size – it may vary due to shrinkage.
4. Cut sport nylon 4" larger than flannel measurement. Follow manufacturer’s directions for iron settings, turn & press all sides of nylon 2".
5. On a large flat surface, lay nylon down, place flannel along pressed edges. Fold pressed nylon over flannel, pin in place. Work to place and smooth out flannel on entire piece, pinning as you go. Fold nylon edge under 1"; pin. Stitch close to edge around entire mat.
6. Handle and straps: Cut 30"x4" of nylon, or desired length for handle, two 15"x4" pieces for straps. Press each piece in half lengthwise, then press edges inside, for a 1" width. Turn ends of strap pieces in before edge stitching all sides. Edge stitch both sides of handle piece.
7. Sew 3" of hook side of Velcro® tape to one end of each strap. Turn strap over; sew 2" of loop side to the other end.
8. Fold mat in half, measure in 6" from side edges and mark at short edge. Pin handle over marks. With the loop side of Velcro® tape up, overlap, place strap 2" from edge of mat, over handle ends. Edge stitch in place.
Finished size 58"x80"