SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1-1/4 yd print for center
- 1/4 yd contrast fabric for sashing
- 7/8 yd contrast fabric for border
- 1/2 yd fabric for binding
- 3 yards fabric for backing
- 60“ x 60“ batting
- 1/4 yd stripe fabric for handle
- Two 1“ D rings
- Basic sewing supplies
- Rotary cutter, ruler & mat
- Sewing machine
- Iron & pressing surface
1. Square up and trim center fabric to 42“ x 42“.
2. Cut four strips of sashing fabric 2“ x WOF. Fold strips in half lengthwise WS together and press.
3. Sew sashing to center panel, one strip on each side, one strip on top and one on the bottom with raw edges together.
4. Cut five 6“ x WOF strips of border fabric. Cut one strip in half. Sew each half onto a border strip making two long borders and two short borders.
5. Sew shorter borders to each side of panel. Sew longer borders to top and bottom. Press seams toward border.
6. Cut and sew backing to measure 60“ square.
7. Layer backing, batting and top quilt panel. Trim layers to fit top.
8. Pin and mark for quilting. Quilt as desired.
9. Cut 5 strips 2-3/4“ x WOF for binding. Sew strips together, forming one long strip. Fold strip in half lengthwise WS together and press.
10. Sew binding to quilt.
11. Cut two 4“ x WOF strips from stripe fabric for handle. Cut one strip in half. Sew one half to longer strip to equal 64“. Fold in half lengthwise, WS together, press. Fold raw edges into center and press. Finished piece should be 1“ wide. Fold in short ends. Topstitch all sides.
12. Insert one end into the D rings. Fold over 1“ and sew close to rings. On opposite end of handle strip, fold down 18“. Sew 1/4“ from edge to form large loop.
13. Fold quilt in half and in half again to 1‘ x 60“. Mark center of top binding of the folded quilt. Place D ring at mark where binding meets quilt top, with handle hanging down quilt top. Sew across narrow strip, just below D ring.
14. Fold quilt in half twice the other way with the handle strip on outside. Wrap handle strip around folded quilt. Pull handle end through both D rings, fold over first ring and through second ring. Pull tight.