Pinwheel Button Pillow
Size: 18" x 18"
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
• Creating New Traditions Fabrics by Fabric Traditions:
o 1/2 yd. large navy floral print for the pillow back and patchwork
o 1/2 yd. of turquoise textured floral for cording and patchwork
o 1/8 yd. violet zigzag stripe, navy/green zigzag stripe, orange dot, navy dot, aqua dot, navy textured floral, medium turquoise print, blue floral print, violet floral print, grey textured floral, small gray print, orange paisley, aqua paisley, and small blue print
o 1/8 yd. orange textured floral for button
• 20" x 20" square backing fabric
• 20" x 20" quilt batting
• Quilting thread (optional)
• Two 1 1/2" diameter covered buttons with kit
• Sewing Machine
• Iron and pressing surface
• Basic sewing supplies
• Rotary cutter, Mat and Ruler (optional)
• Template Plastic (optional)
1. Follow steps 2 through 6 for cutting.
2. Cut template A from violet floral, gray textured floral, navy textured floral and large navy print.
3. Reverse template A and cut from blue floral print, large maroon print, aqua paisley and navy dot.
4. Cut template B from navy/green zigzag stripe, orange paisley, violet zigzag stripe and small gray print.
5. Reverse template B and cut from small blue print aqua dot, turquoise floral and orange dot.
6. Cut three bias strips from the turquoise textured floral that are wide enough to go around cording plus 1/2" seam allowance on each edge.
7. Follow steps 8 through 23 to make the pillow. Stitch all seams right sides together using 1/4" seam allowance unless otherwise indicated.
8. Arrange the pieces as shown in the photo.
9. Stitch each piece A to the adjacent piece B to make a triangle. Trim the seam allowance at the center point to reduce bulk where the seams come together. Continue trimming while joining each section in steps 8 and 9. Press seams toward one side.
10. Stitch the triangles together in pairs to make a square.
11. Stitch the squares together to make one half of the pillow top.
12. Stitch the halves together to complete the top. Press this last seam open.
13. Place the batting between the patchwork top and the backing fabric. Baste the layers together 1/2" from the edge of the patchwork.
14. Stitch "in the ditch" along the seams of the patchwork.
15. Trim the batting and backing even with the patchwork top.
16. Stitch the bias strips together on the straight grain using 1/4" seam allowance. Press seams open.
17. Fold the bias strip in half lengthwise right side out. Insert cording along fold. Baste along edge of cording using zipper foot.
18. Pin cording to pillow top around outer edge matching the raw edges. Clip cording at corners to turn cording. Beginning 2" from beginning of cording, stitch just inside the basting stitches 1/2" from the raw edges ending stitching 2" from the beginning.
19. Pull some basting stitches at end of cording. Trim cording so edges meet. Turn under end of fabric on cording and slip it under beginning of cording. Stitch along the seam line to hold the joined ends in place.
20. Right sides together, stitch pillow front to back using 1/2" seam allowance, leaving opening on one edge. Turn pillow right side out. Place insert in pillow. Turn seam allowance to inside and slipstitch edges of opening closed.
21. Make two buttons following the manufacturer’s directions using orange fabric.
22. Thread the long needle with heavy-duty thread and knot the ends of the thread together making a large knot. Stitch through the center of the pillow between the marks. Insert the needle through the loop on the underside of one button.
23. Stitch back through the center of the pillow between the marks. Insert the needle through the loop on the underside of the other button. Pull the tread tight so the buttons are indented into the pillow. Sew back and forth through the pillow and buttons one or two more times and knot the thread securely by making several small stitches under the edge of the button.