SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 2 yds. burlap, light-colored
- White 3T T-shirt
- 1 yd. drapey white fabric (sleeves, ruffles)
- 1 yd. pants fabric
- Sash fabric
- 2 red bandanas
- Foam pirate hat
- Foam: green (2 shades), orange, yellow, brown (lg. sheet), peach
- Felt: red
- Green feather boa
- Pirate applique
- Brads (to secure peg leg)
- Safety pins
- Brown Yarn
- Sea shells
- Fray Check™
- Hot glue gun & hot glue
- Basic sewing supplies
1. Even out the top and bottom raw edges of the burlap by pulling on one thread and cutting off excess. Fold over the top of the burlap enough to accommodate your tension rod or rope, and hot glue or sew in place.
2. Draw on the face cut-out (to be determined by the general height of the users) and apply Fray-check from the pencil line out for approximately 1" width (in case adjustments in size are necessary later). When dry, cut out the face shape.
3. Cut and braid yarn for hair. Cut bandana and knot. Set aside other half for later. Glue yarn behind bandana. Glue knotted bandana over top of opening, and glue pirate hat in place. Attach sea shells.
4. Cut 2 hands from peach foam.
5. Glue the body of the shirt into place, leaving the arms unattached. Cut the drapey white fabric to make 2 sleeves and 2 shirt ruffles. Hand-gather the cuffs of the shirt and slip foamie hands in; glue to secure. Glue the other end of sleeve inside the t-shirt sleeves. Hand-gather the shirt ruffles and glue to the front of the t-shirt, using photo as a guide.
6. Glue pirate applique at neckline.
7. Cut pants with jagged bottom edge. Gather top waistline and glue pants into place. Cut and glue cummerbund using the other bandana and the remaining half for hanging down pants. Cut and braid yarn for hair. Cut bandana in half and knot. Set aside other half for later.
8. From Foamie, cut a boot and attach a cuff with brads. Glue to a strip of red felt. Roll brown Foamie lengthwise and glue to create peg leg. Pin under one pant leg.
9. Cut sword and handle from Foamie and attach at waist. Attach gold beads at waist with bullclip.
10. Create parrot (refer to photo). Glue to shoulder. Attach feet, beak & eyes. Glue feather boa in place.