Pirate Tote Bag with Crayon Loops
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Babyville Boutique®:Pirate PUL – 1/2 yardRed PUL – 21” x 24”Red Fold Over Elastic (FOE) – 12-1/2”Pirate Applique
- Dritz®:Iron-On Letters – White (to personalize)Mark-B-Gone™ Disappearing Ink Pen
- Polyester thread
- Heavyweight sew-in interfacing – 1/2 yard
- Omnigrid® ruler – 6”x24”
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
- Pressing cloth
- Iron, press cloth & pressing surface
- Crayons for loops
1. Cut four pieces Pirate PUL 12-1/2”x13” and two pieces 4” x17”.
2. Cut one piece of heavyweight interfacing 12-1/2”x13”. Pin rectangle of interfacing to laminate side of bag front panel. Baste together 3/8” from edge. Short edges of rectangle are top and bottom of bag.
3. On same front panel, measure and mark long side 8-1/2” down from top edge of bag. Repeat for opposite long side. Draw line across bag front at marks. Mark center point of line. Align top edge of FOE along line, pin in place.
4. Transfer center mark from front panel to FOE. Measure over 3/4” to right of center, then draw vertical line on FOE, repeat 6 more times. Measure to left of center line 3/4”, draw vertical line, repeat 6 more times.
5. Stitch along each marked line on FOE, backstitch at start and stop of stitching to secure.
6. Cut Red PUL 11”x12-1/2”. Fold in half, laminate sides together to 5-1/2”x12-1/2”. Using an iron set to steam setting and using a pressing cloth, press fabric side of PUL to fuse laminate sides together. On folded edge of pocket, mark center.
7. Position applique at front of pocket. Arrange letters for desired name. Following package instructions and using pressing cloth, press to fuse applique and letters to pocket. Optional: For additional reinforcement, stitch applique on pocket.
8. Pin pocket to front panel of bag, aligning pocket with sides and bottom of bag. Baste pocket to front panel at sides and bottom.
9. Pin PUL front and back panels, fabric sides together. Stitch two long sides and bottom of bag together with a 1/2” seam allowance. Trim corners diagonally, then trim seam to 1/4”.
10. Turn bag right side out. Using a pressing cloth, from front of bag, lightly press at sides and bottom to flatten bag.
11. Pin two lining pieces of PUL, fabric sides together. Stitch two long sides and bottom with 1/2” seam. Trim corners diagonally.
12. For Straps: Using 4”x17” PUL strip, fold up one long edge 1/2” toward laminate side of PUL then press. Be careful to use only the tip of the iron at the fold of PUL. DO NOT LET IRON TOUCH LAMINATE SIDE OF PUL when pressing. Fold opposite long edge over 1-1/4” to laminate side then press on fold only. Fold over previously pressed folded edge to within 1/4” of opposite folded edge. Press strap flat. Topstitch along lapped fold to secure, then topstitch on opposite fold edge. Repeat for second strap.
13. Measure 2-1/2” from front left side seam; mark top edge of bag. Repeat from right side seam. Repeat on back panel of bag.
14. On front of bag, pin strap at mark, aligning raw edge of strap with raw edge of bag. Smooth side of strap should face bag. Pin other end of strap at next mark. Stitch strap to bag 1/4” from raw edge, backstitch at beginning and end of stitching to reinforce.
15. Pin strap to back panel of bag then stitch as in Steps 13-14.
16. Slide bag into lining, fabric sides together. Pin lining along top edge of bag aligning side seams.
17. Leave area between back straps open for turning. Start stitching at back strap, then stitch all around top of bag using a 1/2” seam allowance, ending stitching at opposite back strap.
18. Trim seam allowance to 1/4”. Turn bag to right side through unstitched opening.
19. Tuck and align lining inside bag. Press top seam of bag gently to flatten, making sure opening seams are turned to inside. Topstitch around top of bag 1/4” from edge, making sure to stitch opening closed.
Customers Who Viewed this Product, Also Viewed these Products