Plaid Taffeta Wrap Skirt
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Special occasion taffeta fabric in large plaid (see directions for yardage)
- 1-1/2” wide grosgrain ribbon
- Coordinating thread
- Sewing machine
- Basic sewing supplies
- Iron & pressing surface
Note: This skirt is one wide piece of fabric, with a ribbon waistband and integrated tie. Wrap it around the waist, slipping one of the ties through the waistband buttonhole, wrap around the back, and tie on the side with a large bow.
1. Measuring for skirt fabric: Measure the girl’s waist. The measurement of fabric is twice the waist measurement plus 1/2 for overlapping. Example: for a 20” waist double that for fullness (now 40”) and add half again (20”) for overlap totaling 60” of fabric needed. For the skirt length measure from waist to the desired length and add 1-1/2” for seam allowance and hem. Example: if the waist to ankle measurement is 32” the fabric will need to be 33-1/2”.
2. Cut fabric to dimensions determined in step 1.
3. Ribbon waistband and tie measurement: For the waistband cut two pieces of ribbon 1-1/2 times the waist measurement plus 1" for finishing. For the tie, cut one piece ½ the waist plus one yard. Example: for a 20” waist two lengths of ribbon would be 31” for the waistband and one 46” for the ties.
4. Turn under the raw edges of the cut ribbons 1/4” twice and stitch down to finish the ends.
5. Finish the short ends and the long hem edge of the skirt fabric by turning them under 1/2” twice and stitching close to the fold.
6. Gather the top of the skirt fabric by stitching two rows of basting stitches 1/2” below the top. Pull the threads, to adjust the gathers evenly to fit the skirt to the waistband ribbon.
7. Pin the skirt to the bottom of one of the waistband ribbons with the right side of the skirt to wrong side of the ribbon. The bottom of the ribbon should be just below the basting stitches.
8. Stitch the skirt to the waistband.
9. Place the second length of waistband ribbon on top of the first, wrong sides together so the gathered top of the skirt is sandwiched between the ribbons. Pin well along the top and bottom of the waistband pieces.
10. Using the ribbon set aside for the ties cut off an 18” piece. Insert the raw end of the 18” length of ribbon about 1/2” into the end of the pinned waistband, between the two layers of ribbon, pin in place. Insert the raw end of the rest of the tie ribbon into the other end of the waistband, and pin in place.
11. Stitch the waistband ribbons close to the edges, along the long and short sides, securing the ties pinned into the ends.
12. Place a pin at a distance equal to 1/2 the waist measurement from the edge of the waistband with the shorter tie. Create a button hole running perpendicularly to the waistband at this point.
13. To wear the skirt, wrap it around the waist, slipping one of the ties through the waistband buttonhole, wrap around the back, and tie on the side with a large bow.