Playful Petals Posy
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1/2 yd green fabric for flower
- 8"x12" cuts of assorted fabrics for petals
- 1/2 yd fusible interfacing
- Velcro brand fastener
- Velcro glue
- Sewing machine
- Basic sewing supplies
- Iron, pressing surface
Use 1/4" seam allowance throughout.
FLOWER STEM & LEAVES:
- Enlarge pattern to sizes indicated.
- Fuse interfacing to wrong side of green fabric. Cut out flower pattern.
- Cut 41"x1-1/2" strip of fabric for flower gusset. Measure the turning points on the flower to fit the gusset correctly. The turning points are on the seam line, not the cutting line. Measure and mark both sides of the 41" strip from center bottom as follows: 0 – center, 7-1/4" – tip of first leaf, 11-3/4" – leaf and stem joint, 14-3/4" – stem and head joint, 20-1/8" – center of head, 25-1/2" – 2nd side of stem and head joint, 2-3/8" 2nd leaf and stem joint, 33" 2nd leaf tip, 40-1/2" – center bottom.
- Stay-stitch 1/4" along length of both sides. Clip marks to stay-stitching. Fold ends under 1/4" on each side.
- Beginning at center bottom, sew gusset to flower shape pivoting at corners and clipping as needed to go around curves. Be sure not to clip past stay stitching.
- End with folded edges meeting at the bottom. This will be opening for stuffing.
- Repeat with back side of flower, leaving 1" open on either side of bottom for stuffing.
- Clip curves and corners as needed. Turn right side out and stuff.
- Slip-stitch bottom opening closed.
- Evenly space fuzzy side of Velcro fastener around head and glue in place.
- Cut two 3" circles and one 1-1/2"x8-5/8" strip.
- Stay-stitch along both long edges of strip.
- Clip curves to stay stitching.