SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 2 LDB Pink Sailboat Fat Quarters 18" x 21"(Bag & Lining)
- 1 LDB Multi Stripe Fat Quarter 18" x 21" (Band & Strap)
- 1?8 yd. heavyweight fusible interfacing
- Snap - large
- Decorative button - 1"
- Coordinating thread
- Removable fabric marker
- CD or 4-1/2" circle
- Rotary cutter, mat & acrylic ruler
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
- Iron & pressing surface
Finished Project Size: 9-1/4" x 10-1/2"
- Read all instructions before beginning project. Do not pre-wash fabrics. Before cutting, press fabrics with a dry iron on cotton setting. Use a 1/4" seam allowance and sew fabrics with right sides together (RST) unless otherwise noted. Backstitch at the beginning and end of each seam to secure stitching. Label pieces as they are cut.
- *Note direction of stripe when cutting.
- Pink Sailboat:?4 - 8" x 11" (Bag & Lining)
- *Multi Stripe:?1 - 3" x 18" (Strap)?4 - 2-1/4" x 8-1/2" (Band and Band Lining)
- Heavyweight interfacing:?2 - 2-1/4" x 8-1/2" (Band)
- Follow manufacturer’s instructions to fuse the interfacing to the wrong side of the two Band pieces.
- Place the Bag pieces RST and trace a CD or 4-1/2" circle to round two corners on one long edge. Cut on drawn line (Dia. A). Repeat for the Bag Lining.
- Fold one Bag piece RST so curved edges meet. Make a mark 1-1/4" from the fold and 1-1/4" from the top edge; draw a line to connect the dots (Dia. B). Sew on the line, backstitching at the top and bottom. Open the sides and press the pleat so the fold is lined up with the seam and the pleats are equal on both sides of the seam; baste (Dia. B). Repeat for the other Bag piece.
- Sew a row of gathering stitches 1?8" and 1/4" along the straight edge of a Bag Lining, leaving tails on both sides (Dia. C). Repeat for the other Bag Lining piece.
- Pin the Band (with interfacing) RST to the pleated edge of the Bag; sew and press the seam toward the Band (Dia. D). Repeat for the other Bag piece.
- Gather the Bag Lining pieces by pulling the thread tails to fit the Band Lining (without interfacing); pin RST. Sew and press the seam toward the Band (Dia. E).
- Pin the Bag pieces RST with edges and Band seams matching; sew around the sides and bottom. Repeat to sew Bag Lining pieces leaving a 4" opening along the bottom for turning (Dia. F).
- Fold the Strap wrong sides together so long edges meet; press. Open and press the long edges to the center fold. Fold in half again and topstitch close to folded edges (Dia. G).
- Center the ends of the Strap over the Band side seams on the right side, so cut edges are even. Pin and sew together (Dia. H).
- With Lining wrong side out, place Bag inside Lining RST and pin the top with cut edges even and side seams matching. Sew together. Turn right side out through opening in Lining. Press top edge flat: “Stitch-in-the-ditch" (stitch directly next to the seam) through all layers at Band/Bag seam and 1/4" from top and bottom Band edges (Dia. I). Sew opening in Lining closed.
- Center and sew snap inside on Band Lining. Center and sew button to the right side of the Bag on the Band.
- Finished Care Instructions: Wash in cold water, gentle cycle, hang to dry.