To make 2 large bags (or 4 small bags)
Use 1/4" seam allowance. RST= right sides together; WST=wrong sides together; SA=seam allowance. Sizes given are for the large size bag (small size bag measurements are in parentheses).
CUTTING: For each bag, cut:
1. Two 12"x18" (9"x12") pieces of netting
2. Two 12½"x6" (9½"x4½") pieces of novelty print fabric
3. Two 6"x6" (4½"x4½") pieces of novelty print fabric
4. Two 1 yd pieces of cording
1. Make the pocket by placing two 6" (4½") squares of novelty fabric RST. Sew along all 4 sides of the squares, leaving an opening for turning. Clip corners, turn, and press. Whipstitch the opening closed.
2. Press a 1/2" flap WST into the long sides of both 12½"x6" (9½"x4 ½") strips of novelty print. Press a 1/4" flap WST into the short ends of both of these strips. Sew the short end flaps down to finish the edge.
3. Press the strips in half lengthwise to form two 12"x2½" casings.
4. Unfold a casing strip and insert the short end of a piece of netting inside it to meet the fold line. Refold the casing to enclose the netting and pin in place. Sew the casing to the netting along the pressed flaps. It may be necessary to shorten the stitch length setting of the sewing machine. Repeat the process for the other casing and piece of netting.
5. Pin the pocket to one of the casing-topped pieces of netting. It should be placed 1" up and 1" in from the bottom right corner of netting.
6. Sew the pocket in place by topstitching the side, bottom and other side of the pocket to the netting. Backstitch at the beginning and at the end of the stitch line.
7. Place the two casing-topped pieces of netting WST. Sew along the three sides of netting, but DO NOT sew along the casings as that would seal the openings. Backstitch. Trim the SA.
8. Turn the bag inside out, and sew along the same three sides of the netting. This step finishes and strengthens the seam.
9. Turn the bag right side out with the pocket facing up. Attach a safety pin to one end of a piece of cording. Thread one piece of the cording into the left side of the top casing and out the right side, then insert the safety pin into the right side of the back casing and thread it out the left side. Both ends of the cording will be on the left side of the bag. Knot the two ends together. Repeat the process with the other piece of cording starting on the right side so that both of its ends will be on the right side of the bag.
FOLD THE BAG FOR STORAGE:
1. To fold the bag into its pocket, lay the bag flat, pocket side down.
2. Fold the bag in half lengthwise.
3. Fold the bag into thirds in the opposite direction. The bag is now completely behind the pocket. Turn the pocket inside out while pushing the bag inside it.
You can usually expect delivery within 6-10 business days from your order date (business days are Monday-Friday, excluding Holidays). You’ll receive an email with tracking information when your order is shipped. Please allow up to 5 business days to receive your tracking information.
Some items sent directly from our suppliers may take longer, and will ship separate from the remainder of your order.
Please note that Singer sewing machines cannot be shipped to Guam, Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands or to military bases overseas.
Most items will give you the option to upgrade your shipping method for faster delivery. If you choose to upgrade your shipping method, your order must be received by 11:00 AM ET or your order may not be processed until the following business day.
For more details & pricing. See our Full Shipping Policy >
Creativity shouldn’t be complicated, so you can return items for FREE any time to our stores for a hassle-free refund with a smile. Personalized Fabric and Custom Headboards purchased online cannot be returned. You can also return online items by mail. See Full Return Policy for Details>