SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 4 ready-to-decorate wood crates
- 4-1/4" x 2" x 36" craft plywood
- 5/8" Dowel Rod
- Foam core board
- White picture frame
- Chalkboard paint (Black)
- Glue gun & glue sticks
- Acrylic paint, white
- Foam brush
- Large flat paintbrush
- Various Fabrics
- X-Acto® knife
- Drill with 5/8" bit & Phillips head
- 1/2" wood screws
- 3/4" wood screws
- Nail & hammer
- Paper towels for clean up
- Paper to protect work surface
1. Assemble the base of the stand by placing two crates horizontally on the ground next to each other. Screw 3/4" screws into the side where the two crates meet to hold them together. Stack the two remaining crates on top and screw the sides where those two crates meet with 3/4" screws. Screw the slates of the bottom and top crates together with 1/2" screws to secure all four crates together.
2. Place a piece of craft plywood across the bottom and top of the crates and screw in place with 1/2" screws.
3. Drill 5/8" holes in the two remaining craft plywood pieces 1" from the top on one side only. Attach one of the plywood pieces to each side of the outer top crates. Place them in line with the second slate back from the front and 5" down from the top. Screw in place.
4. Paint the entire stand white along with the dowel rod.
With an X-Acto® knife, cut a piece of foam core to fit inside the frame. Paint the piece of foam core with chalkboard paint. Once the paint is dry glue the foam core piece inside the frame. Attach a piece of ribbon to the top in the desired length for the chalkboard to hang. Hammer a nail into the stand where the chalkboard will hang.
Place the dowel rod in the holes in the top of two craft plywood pieces. Cut strips of fabric 1-1/2 - 2" in width x 56" long. Tie the fabric stripes along the dowel rod varying the patterns on the fabric. Tie back the sides of the fabric back against with scrap pieces.