Purse with Covered Handles
- 1 pr bamboo handles
- 3/4 yd small print cotton fabric
- 1/4 yd stripe cotton fabric
- 1/2 yd large print cotton fabric
- 3/4 yd fusible interfacing
- 1" Velcro ® brand hook-&-loop fastener
- Mini screwdriver
- Iron, pressing surface
- Sewing machine
- Basic sewing supplies
DIRECTIONS: 1/4" seam allowances.
1. Handle covers: from small print cut two 3 1/2"x38"pieces. Sew 1/4" hems on all short ends. Fold each lengthwise right sides together and sew long edge. Turn. Remove the metal hardware from the handles. Slide one tube on each handle and set aside.
2. Cell phone pocket: from small print cut one pocket piece 8"x13" and one tab piece 3" x 4 1/2". Fold each in half lengthwise, right sides together. Sew long side and one end. Turn and press. Sew one side of Velcro® fastener, centered on sewn end of pocket piece. Sew other Velcro® fastener piece 1" in from the sewn end of tab. Fold sewn end of the pocket piece up 5" with the Velcro® fastener on the outside, to form a pocket. On the folded end, push the corners in 1/2" to form an angle. Top stitch two sides.
3. From large print, cut two 12"x 20". Measure in 2" from end of 20" dimension (top) and angle ruler to corner of 20" (bottom). Draw line. Repeat on other side. Cut along lines for 20"-wide bottom, 16"-wide top and 12" height. Repeat. On both pieces, place a pin at center of 20" width. Make a 1" pleat 2" from center mark on each side. Pin in place. Along the 16" width, make a 1" pleat 1" from center mark on each side pin in place. Press.
4. Using pleated fabric as a pattern, cut 2 pieces of interfacing and two small print (lining). Fuse interfacing to back of pleated pieces. Pin cell phone pocket with tab in place to top of one piece.
5. From stripe cut four12"x 3 1/2". From interfacing, cut two 12"x3" and fuse to back of two stripe pieces. Sew each non-interfaced stripe to top of lining pieces and interfaced stripe to top of pleated pieces.
6. With right side together, sew sides and bottom of pleated pieces and sides of lining pieces. At bottom corners, press side seam to bottom seam and sew across triangle to form a gusset.
7. Tabs for handles: cut small print fabric 2"x8". Fold in half lengthwise, right side out, press. Fold long edges into center; press and stitch. Cut into 2" lengths. Fold each in half, with raw edges matching raw edges of purse pin tabs, to line up with handle placement. With right sides together, sew lining to outer purse along top, turn, press and sew purse with covered handles opening closed. Replace hardware on handles attaching handles to tabs.